• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing New ECM, anybody know where I can get a cheap ECM?

I am planning on getting a blank new ECM from Chrysler, as I can get it for wholesale, a mere $1003.00 before tax. :spend:FYI all, the ECM listed on RockAuto is not the Cummins ECM, its the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), thankfully RockAuto takes returns. :smart:Then, if the ECM install goes well, I am getting a set of the Bosch RV 275 injectors.Then, if the truck runs well, I am going to put my edge back on.Then, I am going to fix the control arms.Then, ... it never ends does it. :lmao:Has anybody installed an ECM before? Anybody have issues that I could be facing? I am planning on buying it new, supposedly "blank" and having a mechanic friend of mine with a current copy of the cummins software flash it to my truck.

Not sure why you want to spend that kind of coin when there are used ones to be had through several sources for 1/4 the price?:shrug: Call Bob wagner from smartypower.com he carries them on hand and Marco the man who designed Smarty rebuilds the ecms so they have them on habd and will flash them to your year and tranny option. A cummins flash will not work as the ecm is a Dodge flash and must be done at the dealer with chrysler DRB tool. There are Dodge only perameters programmed into the ecm you won't get from a cummins flash.

Not sure why you want to spend that kind of coin when there are used ones to be had through several sources for 1/4 the price?:shrug: Call Bob wagner from smartypower.com he carries them on hand and Marco the man who designed Smarty rebuilds the ecms so they have them on habd and will flash them to your year and tranny option.

I called Wagner yesterday, and they didn't have any. Where else can I get one? I haven't found anybody yet...

I called Wagner yesterday, and they didn't have any. Where else can I get one? I haven't found anybody yet...

Whats wrong with yours? why don't you send it in for repair if you have one. There are salvage yards. e-bay, diesel forum classifieds other ecm repair companies ect.

Something shorted out in it, it won't respond to any of the cummins diagnostic inputs. Strangely, the truck still runs okay. A miss here or there, but I think thats some injector issues.I've been looking at craigslist etc, but haven't found any yet for my year & transmission combo. I also haven't been able to get any info on what other makes & models might fit it either.

I talked with Solo Auto Electronics today, $400 to rebuild http://www.solopcms.com/repairs

From looking at their list of dodge ecms, I don't see an ECM in their Dodge list... I only see PCMs. Hopefully I can call them monday. Were you talking to them about the ECM that is on the side of the engine, not the PCM on the passenger side firewall?

From looking at their list of dodge ecms, I don't see an ECM in their Dodge list... I only see PCMs. Hopefully I can call them monday. Were you talking to them about the ECM that is on the side of the engine, not the PCM on the passenger side firewall?

They dont have the ECM listed ; when you call ask to talk to ALEX, he was the gentleman I spoke with

i went the rebuild route about a year ago. Autoecu.com. i do not recoment them. $400 for the rebuild plus a $200 core charge. the kept my core charge because they said it could not be rebuilt and they had to use another. took 2 weeks to get it back and it did not work. i had to send it back and they fixed it, but it took almost 6 weeks to get it back. every thing worked but the cruise control. needed the truck on the road a gain so i just drove it no cruise. it lasted about 6 months and now it is sitting on my front seat. I ended getting one from chrysler through a mechanic for $1000. he had the tecnology to program it and charged $100 for that.i was not a member here then and was on my own. i would not do it again unless some of the guys here had some experience with a rebuilder. just my :2cents:.

Not sure why you want to spend that kind of coin when there are used ones to be had through several sources for 1/4 the price?:shrug: Call Bob wagner from smartypower.com he carries them on hand and Marco the man who designed Smarty rebuilds the ecms so they have them on habd and will flash them to your year and tranny option. A cummins flash will not work as the ecm is a Dodge flash and must be done at the dealer with chrysler DRB tool. There are Dodge only perameters programmed into the ecm you won't get from a cummins flash.

I took my blank ecm to cummins and they installed my program.

I just got one from here. www.goecm.com By the look of it it was a rebuilt one but it's working great so far. Comes with a 1 year warranty. I had the same problem you're having, can't find them anywhere. When I ordered mine the guy told me they're getting pretty rare and they had only 2 left.

I just got one from here. www.goecm.com By the look of it it was a rebuilt one but it's working great so far. Comes with a 1 year warranty. I had the same problem you're having, can't find them anywhere. When I ordered mine the guy told me they're getting pretty rare and they had only 2 left.

I called GOECM earlier today, they did not have any

I called GOECM earlier today, they did not have any

Thanks for letting me know... I am going to be out of town for a few weeks for work, so I am budgeting for a $1000 ECM. Hopefully yours goes really well, and if so, mabe I can use the same guys you are looking at. Then I can spend the other $600 on something else! Like new injectors! :D

Something shorted out in it, it won't respond to any of the cummins diagnostic inputs. Strangely, the truck still runs okay. A miss here or there, but I think thats some injector issues.

I've been looking at craigslist etc, but haven't found any yet for my year & transmission combo. I also haven't been able to get any info on what other makes & models might fit it either.

Year and tranny does not matter when looking for a used one, any year tranny combo can be reflashed to your current setup.

I have one for sale on here right now. I'm looking for $175 shipped. The reason for sale is it came on the motor I swapped in and it was on a 5 speed. I did not want to reflash so I put my original auto one back in. I never used it myself but the motor runs great and I'll guarantee this ECM to be good.Let me know.

Wow! That might be great! let me talk to the mechanic, and I will see what hey says. I might buy that from you.Edit - UpdateWell, after talking to Cummins, they are adamant that it has to be the same year engine before to work.That sucks. I was really hoping that I could buy your ECM and save a bunch of money.

CSM, that is the same ECM that you have in your truck. Belive me when I say they are all the same. The only diff out there are auto's, and a 96 or 97 that came out with a manual oil pressure gauge. But if your mech. wonts you to spend 1k on a ecm then go for it. I went down the same road as you or on and I didnt listen either but learned later. Everybody here is trying to save you some bucks.I even got scamed out of 555.00 from a guy that called him self the ecm outlet. All and all my ecm cost me 1855.00 then 150.00 to have Dodgeflash it.Good Luck

CSM, that is the same ECM that you have in your truck. Belive me when I say they are all the same. The only diff out there are auto's, and a 96 or 97 that came out with a manual oil pressure gauge. But if your mech. wonts you to spend 1k on a ecm then go for it. I went down the same road as you or on and I didnt listen either but learned later. Everybody here is trying to save you some bucks. I even got scamed out of 555.00 from a guy that called him self the ecm outlet. All and all my ecm cost me 1855.00 then 150.00 to have Dodgeflash it. Good Luck

Thanks! I just don't know who to believe... If that ECM will work, I will get a money order out monday! It kinda sucks not having any experience with this. I guess thats what I am getting now right? :) What did you end up doing with your ecm? Did you get a new one from Chrysler or did you go a used route?

I had major issuses with my old motor, 2k on a ecm was a drop in the bucket compaired to what that motor cost me. :lmao:Anyway yea 125.00 to 175.00 is normal cost on this ecm's. What I would do is buy this ecm and send your old one out have it checked reinstall it and sell this ecm again. There is totally no diff in my 01 my buddys 2000 and Moparman's 02 there all the same injection pump, mapp sensor's, ait's are the same the plug ins my change on the sensors but the ecm's the same. The 96 or 97 ecm that I had with the manual gauge, it even took the reflash and oil gauge worked for about 100 miles then took a dump. What ever you do dont take the little plug out of the top of the filter to see if you have oil preassure :lmao: :lmao:belive me again, dont pull the plug out.:(

I had major issuses with my old motor, 2k on a ecm was a drop in the bucket compaired to what that motor cost me. :lmao: Anyway yea 125.00 to 175.00 is normal cost on this ecm's. What I would do is buy this ecm and send your old one out have it checked reinstall it and sell this ecm again. There is totally no diff in my 01 my buddys 2000 and Moparman's 02 there all the same injection pump, mapp sensor's, ait's are the same the plug ins my change on the sensors but the ecm's the same. The 96 or 97 ecm that I had with the manual gauge, it even took the reflash and oil gauge worked for about 100 miles then took a dump. What ever you do dont take the little plug out of the top of the filter to see if you have oil preassure :lmao: :lmao:belive me again, dont pull the plug out.:(

Well, I will stay away from the oil plug... :D I am just concerned at the 99-00 thing. I haven't talked to anybody that has done it, and my Dodge mechanic as well as Rocky Mountain Cummin says "it can't be swapped, as its 1. a different year, and 2. it needs to be blank before our software can flash so it matches the vin in the PCM and the rest of the truck." Does anybody have personal experience with a good shop fixing their ECM that worked right out of the box as-advertized? What shop? I would rather pay a grand to Chrysler than deal with non proven parts. I wonder if Bob Wagner would be willing to look at it. I figure the guys that made the Smarty can diagnose an ECM. :)