• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing New ECM, anybody know where I can get a cheap ECM?

Well, I will stay away from the oil plug... :D I am just concerned at the 99-00 thing. I haven't talked to anybody that has done it, and my Dodge mechanic as well as Rocky Mountain Cummin says "it can't be swapped, as its 1. a different year, and 2. it needs to be blank before our software can flash so it matches the vin in the PCM and the rest of the truck." Does anybody have personal experience with a good shop fixing their ECM that worked right out of the box as-advertized? What shop? I would rather pay a grand to Chrysler than deal with non proven parts. I wonder if Bob Wagner would be willing to look at it. I figure the guys that made the Smarty can diagnose an ECM. :)

There is nobody on the planet as educated on Dodge Cummins ecms as Bob wagner and his boss Marco. You can reflash any 24v ecm regaurdless of year to what year and tranny you have. I just went through this by buying a used ecm. the engine will run but some gauges will not work or options like cruise will not work when swapping ecms. This is where your cummins buddies info lacks. they can get the engine to run but there are OEM options only Dodge DRB can set in the ecm. I feel like a broken recod here.:rolleyes:
  • Like 2

There is nobody on the planet as educated on Dodge Cummins ecms as Bob wagner and his boss Marco. You can reflash any 24v ecm regaurdless of year to what year and tranny you have. I just went through this by buying a used ecm. the engine will run but some gauges will not work or options like cruise will not work when swapping ecms. This is where your cummins buddies info lacks. they can get the engine to run but there are OEM options only Dodge DRB can set in the ecm. I feel like a broken recod here.:rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it as its the most clear and detailed answer I've found anywhere on the web! I'm sorry I guess I missed something, but it makes sense now. Hopefully it wasn't too much effort to clairify.
  • Like 1

Another person felt offended by my cutting down cummins programming of the ecm. The only way cummins can do it is if they have the Dodge programming/tooling. Cummins can not do OEM specific programming as there would be a big legal battle between engine manufacturers and OEM manufacturesr if engine shops were allowed to do dealer specific work. Cummins "Insite" programs will do only Cummins perameters while programming which tells me the other fellows cummins dealer has aDodge specific tooling. Just needed to clear this up so everyone on the forums doesn't think they can run to a Cummins dealer for Dodge programming. :ahhh:

• Like 1

can the ecm the mech got from chrysler be programmed before it is put on the truck? the truck never went to chryler for programming. the nearest dealer was 40 miles away. he had an obdIII to do the vin #. the software from chrysler has got to be proprietery i would think.

i have one for sale on here right now. I'm looking for $175 shipped. The reason for sale is it came on the motor i swapped in and it was on a 5 speed. I did not want to reflash so i put my original auto one back in. I never used it myself but the motor runs great and i'll guarantee this ecm to be good. Let me know.

sold

• 3 weeks later...

jsut be careful who rebuilds it. i had alot of bad luck with mine. Auto ECU built mine and i had nothing but trouble. they repaired it under warranty but the last time it took 5 weeks to get it back. and it has to go back again.

Well, got a decent deal on a new blank ECM from Chrysler. I had it installed by Chrysler. Without any sort of box, the truck runs great. However, I still cant get my edge juice CTS to connect. It comes up with a "can't connect to edge" screen. Hopefully edge can tell me something new. I am pretty much ready to demand they take this POS back and send me a good one, or give me my money back, since I know its not my truck thats broke.

Bit the bullet and ordered a Mopar ECM

When they flash the ECM, you can ask them to activate the high idle for cold weather, not everybody activates that and it shouldn't cost extra. :hijack: Back to my thread... Anybody know why an Edge CTS won't connect to the Juice? :banghead:

i am not trying to muddy the water on this but why is there multiple part numbers for the ecms? when i was looking for one for my 02 it seemed the part number mattered more than the year and options.

My son works for a parts supplier. They put the same part out under multiple part numbers so they can have different items and prices. Its sort of like buying a bearing generic from the bearing manufacturer or buying a vehicle specific bearing at a higher price.

I went to the dealer for my blank ecm,they gave me the program #. Then went to a C-power cummins shop and gave them the blank ecm and told them to burn program# 383237306j in it. They did. Works fine. Some people say Bob wagner can reprogram any ecm.