• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange benefits of 2-cycle oil

Hi,I'm a new user, I'm from Poland (Western Europe). Problem of ULSD fuel is well known in europe. Althought we have 5% (sometimes more) FAME (bio) additive in diesel fuel, problem remains. Lot of diesel engines users in my country are 2-cycle oil worshipers:)Ok, "what is his point?" - you ask.... I've been using lot of fuel additives, cetane boosters, injector cleaners etc. Last time I used Liqui Moly Purge - very expensive cleaner - which is plugged to fuel line (not poured into tank). Honestly - I fell no difference, black smoke remains, engine noise the same, EGR blanked - no changes. Then I poured 500ml 2-cycle oil and.......miracle....less noise, less smoke etc.HOW IS IT POSSIBLE? that cheap 2-cycle oil is much better than very rare expensive cleaner?! How is it possible that it reduced smoke? My theory is:adding 2-cycle oil increases density of fuel and reduces slack in weared injectors......am I right or wrong?Can't wait for replyP.S. I hope that my english is understandable:)

czesc powitanie moj polski nie tak dobre. I use 2 stroke also. It has been proven to help in many ways. Just how it works, i cant say. Michael should post up some info when he sees this thread. moja babcia is 100% polski

• Like 1

czesc powitanie moj polski nie tak dobre. I use 2 stroke also. It has been proven to help in many ways. Just how it works, i cant say. Michael should post up some info when he sees this thread. moja babcia is 100% polski

what a small world.....:) Greetings from your ancestors country then :)

• Owner

Welcome to the site... :cool: The quietness from 2 cycle oil is from a simple thing. All oils are cetane reducers but there is a plus. Every time you reduce the cetane you increase the BTU content. But with lower cetane the fuel burns slower and longer with more energy. High cetane additive tend to burn explosive and short with less BTU's. So don't get too carried away getting lower in cetane, the fuel will never burn completely and energy is wasted.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site... :cool: The quietness from 2 cycle oil is from a simple thing. All oils are cetane reducers but there is a plus. Every time you reduce the cetane you increase the BTU content. But with lower cetane the fuel burns slower and longer with more energy. High cetane additive tend to burn explosive and short with less BTU's. So don't get too carried away getting lower in cetane, the fuel will never burn completely and energy is wasted.

Thanks for reply :) but what do you think about fuel density increasing by 2 cycle oil? this thesis is defended by some polish laborant technician on our forum. And could you explain what is BTU? I've read all your essays abou 2 cycle oil but in Poland we have no such a term like BTU. Thanks.

• Owner

BTU - British Thermal Unit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btu

As for the way it works...

Posted Image

Now if you look on the side (right) of the table its labeled viscosity cSt (Centistokes) this is how thick the fuel is at 100*F. Now yes 2 cycle oil is at about 80 cSt @ 100*F roughly depending on brand. But when mixing with diesel fuel it might rise a bit but I do think a whole like maybe like 1-2 cSt tops really. Our truck are 35 US gallon (134 Liters - I think) so at 128:1 ratio its like 4480 ounce of fuel with 35 ounces of oil. Pretty thin really when you see that.

This part is from what I learn from people trying to run waste engine oil at high levels say 25-50%. But now some people want to use highier ratios than 128:1 well what happens is 2 fold... First as you increase over the 100:1 ratio the oil slows down the burn process so much that it become inefficient as a fuel. Then the second part as the fuel thickens it become more diffcult from the injection pump to push the thicken fuel causing stress to the injection pump. Down the pipe from there the thicken fuel will not spray properly out of the injectors so it will tend to squirt which now causing poor ignition quality and cylinder wear issues.

• Like 1

thats differant. we use kilowatts here to measure elctricity. that could get a little confusing for me. it does not take alot to confuse me at times though.:lmao: pardon me you said kilojoule not kilowatts. but i always thought that was still a measure of electrical power.

thats differant. we use kilowatts here to measure elctricity. that could get a little confusing for me. it does not take alot to confuse me at times though.:lmao:

Yeah right I corrected kW to kJ, i was searching definition of BTU in web and mistakenly copied link to table of conversion BTU/h instead of BTU. Sorry for that:doh: BTW: it's hard to say about correct conversion.....in poland we say that fuel has calories.....maybe we need to convert kJ to calories just like: 1 Btu = 1.055 kJ = 0.252 kcal = 2.930 x 10-4 kW×h table below: http://sce.org.pl/je.pdf

no problem. i have been a member here for almost a year and a have learned more about this vehicle than i learned in the previous 9 years i have owned it. the folks here are very knowlegeable and helpful,not just on our trucks.

• Like 1

• Owner

Well another way to look at it...

#1 Diesel is use for winter applications where the pour point need to be modified to keep from gelling up from winter cold but most people complaint of the poor power and poor MPG. This fuel is usually very low in BTU content.

#2 Diesel is typical what the world runs on and ranges here in the states between 40-45 cetane and has a about 130K BTU's gives good power and MPG's.

#4 Diesel is typically use for very large diesel engine like on cruise ship and such. This fuel has a much highier BTU content but a much lower cetane number. Also the engines usually have a Max RPM of about 100-500 RPM's. So in this case the engine is traveling slow enough to take on a very slow burning fuel and get the most power out of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Total engine weight: 2300 tons

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm

Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Cześć for you too :) In Poland typical cetane number for regural diesel fuel is 49-51. For "premium" diesel is up to 55. Look at this site http://www.kleenflo.com/en/index.htm and look at product "diesel lubricant" - it should work as 2 cycle oil, but i've tried and see no changes. Maybe a little less noise, but 2 cycle oil reduces noise much better.

• Owner

No difference between synthetic to petroluem based oil in performance. But I've found that most all syntheitc oil don't have a PPD (pour point depressant) which petroluem base oils do have which is a bonus because it does aid the pour point of winter time fuels where synthetics don't. As for american based 2 cycle oils most all oils now are ashless in design so there is no worry with ash deposits.