• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange benefits of 2-cycle oil

No difference between synthetic to petroluem based oil in performance. But I've found that most all syntheitc oil don't have a PPD (pour point depressant) which petroluem base oils do have which is a bonus because it does aid the pour point of winter time fuels where synthetics don't. As for american based 2 cycle oils most all oils now are ashless in design so there is no worry with ash deposits.

I'm asking because I've heard that fully synthetic 2-cycle oil doesn't mix with diesel fuel as good as mineral 2-cycle oil. Moreover, fully synthetic 2-cycle oil has higher flashpoint and leaving deposits on spray tip and doesn't burn fully as mineral oil.

I'm asking because I've heard that fully synthetic 2-cycle oil doesn't mix with diesel fuel as good as mineral 2-cycle oil. Moreover, fully synthetic 2-cycle oil has higher flashpoint and leaving deposits on spray tip and doesn't burn fully as mineral oil.

I'm not sure about this being a different application but I run synthetic in my dirt bike and when we took the engine apart it was completely spotless, no carbon anywhere.

I'm not sure about this being a different application but I run synthetic in my dirt bike and when we took the engine apart it was completely spotless, no carbon anywhere.

Yes, i understand, i've heard about clear engines and their good condition after using fully synthetic 2-cycle oil but it were 2-cycle engines. I wonder what happens in diesel engine as it has different than 2-cycle engine burning process, and of course what about dosage? more/less/same as in mineral oil case?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a new user, I'm from Poland (Western Europe). Problem of ULSD fuel is well known in europe. Althought we have 5% (sometimes more) FAME (bio) additive in diesel fuel, problem remains. Lot of diesel engines users in my country are 2-cycle oil worshipers:)

Ok, "what is his point?" - you ask.... I've been using lot of fuel additives, cetane boosters, injector cleaners etc. Last time I used Liqui Moly Purge - very expensive cleaner - which is plugged to fuel line (not poured into tank). Honestly - I fell no difference, black smoke remains, engine noise the same, EGR blanked - no changes. Then I poured 500ml 2-cycle oil and.......miracle....less noise, less smoke etc.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE? that cheap 2-cycle oil is much better than very rare expensive cleaner?! How is it possible that it reduced smoke? My theory is:adding 2-cycle oil increases density of fuel and reduces slack in weared injectors......am I right or wrong?

Can't wait for reply

P.S. I hope that my english is understandable:)

There is a lot of good info here the charts are very good as well the Cetane issue is also important to note.

IMO it is a lot more simple than what has been posted.

The 2 cycle oil adds lubrication to the fuel helping the injectors to operate more efficiently. Reducing noise and smoke.

I use it in my PSD 7.3 and it helps a lot idles much more smoothly. Note I do use Saber Professional 2-Cycle synthetic The reason I use synthetic is because it burn point is lower than regular 2-cycle.

Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor

Amsoil on Line Store

ZO # 1176229

1251 Reiker Ford Rd.

St Clair MO 63077

1-636-629-8033

E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com

www.FreeOilHelp.com

www.BillsOilHelp.com

Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda

The first 25K or 1 Year oil change®

KiloJules is also a measure of power in ignition systems. Eg MSD Ignitions can run 120 kjls- 700kjls. All a bit confusing:smart:

A joule is a unit of energy and a watt is a unit of power. For example a 100 watt light bulb uses 100 joules of energy per second. 1 watt creates 1 joule of work a second. Just my 2 cents.

• 2 months later...
  • Owner

I've tried to find any info about Fully Synthetic 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel, but somehow I can't find any. Does anybody tested FS 2stroke oil? is it better or worse than basic mineral 2 stroke oil? Or maybe there is no difference....

No better than petroluem based... But can't be used in winter climate because all synthetics don't have pariffin wax in the oil so there ho NO PPD additive package. (Pour Point Depressants). So I tend to say away from semi-synthetics and full synthetics because of the extremely cold temps I want something that will aid in keeping the fuel flowing... So I typically go back to petroluem based snowmobile oil that has a pour point of at least -50*F... So far I've manage to get to -25*F with no other fuel additive for gelling...

No better than petroluem based... But can't be used in winter climate because all synthetics don't have pariffin wax in the oil so there ho NO PPD additive package. (Pour Point Depressants). So I tend to say away from semi-synthetics and full synthetics because of the extremely cold temps I want something that will aid in keeping the fuel flowing... So I typically go back to petroluem based snowmobile oil that has a pour point of at least -50*F... So far I've manage to get to -25*F with no other fuel additive for gelling...

x2 here. Since I've started using the 2 stroke oil, I've used no additive but 2 stroke oil. Even in the winter months here. And we'll see -10*F fairly often and -20*F occasionally in the winter here. In fact, I've never used any of the "so called" winter diesel fuel conditioners that are sold.........even back when I drove the '99. Never a problem.:smart:

• Owner

The theory...

If you got fresh water in a cup you know the water will freeze at 32*F. So if you take a unknown amount of salt water mixture and blend it into the water the freeze point will be lowered. So if fresh water is the diesel fuel and salt water is the 2 cycle oil you can see if you got diesel fuel with a pour point down to roughly +15*F or -20*F and I'm adding 2 cycle oil of -50*F pour point it has to have a effect of some sort.

Chevron Diesel Specs. For Idaho area...[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]October 1 - February 29

[/TD]

[TD]Cloud Point

+26*F

[/TD]

[TD]Pour Point

-20*F

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Pour point defined...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pour_point

Cloud Point defined...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_point

So how did I continue to drive at -25*F? :shrug:

Posted Image

Either I'm extremely lucky... Or ther theory holds water... :shrug:

What is strange about that winter (2010) it was the starting year of the MPG fooler too and I was capable of holding 19-20 MPG the entire winter too... So between the extreme cold and being able to continue driving without gelling up and also holding good fuel mileage for the entire winter was impressive feat...