• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1st Brake job at 187K miles

• Owner

Just like the title said... I finally changed out my factory brake pads for the first time in 9 years and 187K miles. Now I hooked up with Relentless's Dad in New Meadows, ID and had him turn the rotors for me which he did a awesome job on. I had ordered all my parts from RockAuto.com and got front and rear axle brake pads, full seal kit for front and rear calipers and got new slide pin boots for a total of $103.49 with shipping. Old front padspost-2-138698178459_thumb.jpg Old Rear Padspost-2-138698178466_thumb.jpg

• Owner

I recently put on some ceramic pads and they stop alot better than the old metalic pads.

I don't step on that pedal very often hence why they lasted so long... Since I use my exhaust brake mostly I couldn't see the need to spend big money on brake pads. But thinking of that it might be a good thing to inspect the exhaust brake soon. :smart:

That is awesome man, I'm thinking maybe I need to change mine b/c the brakes don't seem to work as well as I think they should. I don't know if they are original or not but I haven't changed them in over 35k miles I've put on it. I try not to use my brakes any more than I have to, I just downshift and slow down ahead of time.:hyper:98white, did you notice any noise with those brake pads?:shrug:

I get a squeel sometimes but im hard on them, used to be a mail man:cry:. I put wagner thermoquite's on it when I first got it and they were like any other brake pad. When it was time to replace them my dad recommended me some that alot of shops use and every body likes but they sqeeled the entire time I drove, they stopped like any other pad I have ever had. I swapped them in for these (family perk) and they actually make the truck stop better, I have replaced alot of pads in my time but I have never found a set that actually made a vehicle stop better than the prior set, unless they were in the metal. They are the cheap oreilly brand but I will be getting them from now on. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OBR1/C459.oap?ck=Search_C0068_1400162_-1&pt=C0068&ppt=C0009

I've been trying to figure out ways to improve my brakes some... They just don't seem to be as touchy as they should be. The front pads still have plenty on them, not as sure about the rear shoes as it has been a while since I looked at them. I do know my ebrake isn't the greatest even though I have adjusted the cable sometime back. Might need to do that again I suppose... Any other ideas?:shrug:

• Owner

I've been trying to figure out ways to improve my brakes some... They just don't seem to be as touchy as they should be. The front pads still have plenty on them, not as sure about the rear shoes as it has been a while since I looked at them. I do know my ebrake isn't the greatest even though I have adjusted the cable sometime back. Might need to do that again I suppose... Any other ideas?:shrug:

Cable??? :duh: Are you drum or disc rear end? Disc brake adjustment. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/e-brake/e-brake.htm

Cable??? :duh: Are you drum or disc rear end? Disc brake adjustment. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/e-brake/e-brake.htm

They are drum. I just adjusted the cable some a few minutes ago to help. Doubt it will help a lot in the stopping power part though. I know it's not a sports car but a couple of my buddy's trucks seem to have tighter feeling brakes than mine and I haven't figured out why....:shrug:

Do you have the hydraulic valve under the bed to control the rear brakes? As for the parking brakes a lot of it is about adjusting the starwheel adjusters till the shoes just barely drag. don't rely on the autoadjusters to do the job...:rolleyes:

I do have that valve and all the linkage is still on it. Yeah I'm thinking that might help too. It's been a while since I jacked it up and spun the wheel to see what the drag is like. I might do that tomorrow if I've got the time.

I was driving down the road the other day pulling one of my heavy loads like always and I noticed when I applied my brakes, I heard a whoomping noise and felt like I had flat spots on the wheels! And then I started noticing that right was side had a grinding noise! Well I looked through the opening on my simulators and saw my rotor was cracked through to the center! I ordered new brake rotors, calipers, and brake pads! What threw me off is I just put these brake pads on less than 6 months ago! They were the Autozone Duralast Cmax pads! Well here a few pics of the old parts! I didn't take any pics of the new ones for comparision. I also replaced the wheel bearings and seals.

post-10918-13869817894_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178947_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178953_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178959_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178966_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178972_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178979_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178987_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178994_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698178999_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698179007_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698179013_thumb.jpg