• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing in OD or Drive for my 5th wheel

There must be other factors at play because I get better mileage going 63 in overdrive at 1550 to 1600 Rpm's than I do in 3rd at 2000. I have found that I get the best mileage at 12 lbs of boost in OD vs 20 lbs in 3rd to maintain 2000 rpm's. It is also a lot quieter in the truck in OD!! Most of the stuff I tow I would have a hard time getting to 2000 rpm's in OD.

This "seems" the same for me too. I try to stay in OD as much as possible. When with OD off - around 1900-2100 rpm I get worse mileage. This is the same DD on the lieometer. I don't stay out of OD long enough DD to know for sure tho. Boost seems similar also - just based on observations. I only ever drop out of OD for a BIG hill - or when I feel/hear the engine start to really lug - maybe 1300 rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this conversation has been around forever, but while asking people what to tow my 5th in, I get about a 50/50 split on answers, so I am asking here. I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins, Quad Cab 4x4 with the 3.54 ratio. Only mod's to the motor are the SuperChip set to "tow-safe mode" and a K&N air filter. My 5th weights about #9500 and I dont tow my 5th under 55mph with OD. My problem comes in when I hit the interstate and run 65mph. My motor will scream if I leave it in Drive. What is the correct towing procedure??????

I tow my 35ft. 5th wheel in OD (15,000 lbs loaded) it`s always on, In town I don`t go fast enough to get to OD. On the interstate I keep it in OD with the cruise on, at 65mph. it is about 1600 or so rpm and when I hit a steep grade it down shifts and the rpms go to 26 1/2 to 27 still holding at 65 mph, once it tops the grade it shifts back to OD. All this is done smoothly. I can`t see what the fuss is all about. It`s pretty simple with an automatic. 134,000 mi. No problems. I cannot tell you if I do it right however.

my advice is to buy a shift kit, and get a billet accumulator for 2nd gear. between those two you should be more then good to cover for the weakness in the truck.next step is a billet single.i did the above to my truck and i felt an immeadiate change in how she drove, she tows heavy campers and boats now with less issue in o/D

• 1 year later...

I know this conversation has been around forever, but while asking people what to tow my 5th in, I get about a 50/50 split on answers, so I am asking here. I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins, Quad Cab 4x4 with the 3.54 ratio. Only mod's to the motor are the SuperChip set to "tow-safe mode" and a K&N air filter. My 5th weights about #9500 and I dont tow my 5th under 55mph with OD. My problem comes in when I hit the interstate and run 65mph. My motor will scream if I leave it in Drive. What is the correct towing procedure??????

I have an 01 3500 4x4 Dually with an Automatic running 279xxx miles, same trans, pull a 32' travel trailer,I do run OD until shifting is a constant! I am up and down the East side (Adirondack Mt, and I live in AL in the foothills of the Smokeys so I do work it, I run a DD pan and amsoil fluid with no issues if that helps?