• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High EGTs

Hello everybody! I am new to this forum or any for that matter, so bare with me. Anyways i have always driven diesels and always owned dodges now i need yalls help with my 2005 3500. The truck is all stock and recently had to replace my injectors. Installed stock injectors bought from cummins, now when im driving under normal conditions my egts vary from 800 to 1000 and never below 10 psi of boost. Please help me out. Thanks

Under heavy throttle there is just alittle bit of black smoke. And yes i have a boost gauge and under heavy throttle it is atleast 20 sometimes higher than that. And i havent driven it enough since i changed the injectors to notice a rise in oil level, however it is over the full mark just a bit.

stock injectors and like i said it might be higher than that.i am adjusting the valves on it right now then i will go drive it and get a better reading. Like i said when im driving 70 on flat ground it always has bout 10-15psi of boost and the egts are between 800-1000. With my old injectors i dnt remember the boost pressure but the egts were always 700- 800.

• Staff

Sounds like a stock 05 to be honest. Mine would hit 1000 easily climbing hills, 800-1000 was normal for daily driving. EGT's should hit 1300-1450° WOT depending on load, and boost will spike to 32 and stabilize between 28-32 based on load.

• Like 1

JMHO here, but it sure sounds to me like something isn't quite right here. I've got an '04.5 which is essentially the same as the '05's. Even pre-Smarty and running the Edge (then) on stock, I always ran cooler and with way, way less boost than the OP is seeing!! The OP should be seeing 30+psi boost stock also!!!To the OP............what kind of mileage are you seeing???? Do you "tow heavy"??? Is it possible you have a "brake dragging" a bit???? Your truck doesn't "smell" right to me.For example............my truck with Smarty on SW5 default settings......different, but essentially the same.........running 65mph on level ground in 80* weather not bucking the wind, I'll usually see about 4psi of boost and 550-600*EGT's.As I said prior, even when I was running the Edge on "stock" programming I would'nt see those numbers.

No there is no brakes dragging. And my mileage sux its been between 11 and 14. Before i changed my injectors the first time i ran with my smarty on no.4. Not pulling a load and flat ground id get 21mpg and egts around 700 with 5 to 8psi if boots. I agree with u that something aint right but cant figure it out. Im biginning to think that one of the new injectors are bad, therefore causing the high egts,boost and poor mileage. Ive been told by a couple of my mechanic friends that they have been getting bad reman injectors.But as for my truck its been in my shop and 3 others and none of us can pin point a bad injector.

Mike, I believe about the only way you can get 3rd gen injectors is via a "swap". IOW, I'll send you my new ones, and then you send the old ones back in the same box. It sure does sound like a bad batch of remans to me...............sorry for the OP!!!!!:duh::doh::spend:All of the above is predicated on actually finding someone that has an "in" to the availability of 3rd gen injectors!!! They seem to be a real hot commodity right now!!!!:spend::spend::2cents: