• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm Done!!!!!!!!!

I am finished beating my head against tthe wall chasing idle haze and high egt's!!!!!! To date I have replaced the lift pump, turbo, Had the injectors cleaned and popped, Had the injector pump gone through tested and reset, and put in a intercooler out of a 95 dodge. I still have high egt's and heavy idle haze and have decided that there are only two possible reasons for my problem. 1: my exaust valves are leaking and causing low combustion pressure/temp at idle and blowing heat made for the cumbustion chamber out the exhaust while driving. Or 2: I have some really cheap crappy aftermarket performance injectors and dont know it. I am leaning toward #1 so I turned the pump down a little more bumped the timing 1/4 inch and took all my aftermarket gauges out!!! I figure since I have replaced everything but the longblock at this point she will either run or blow at this point I dont much care anymore!!!! Ok I feel better!

Set your valves, do a compression test, check your timing. I think those have automatic timing advance things so you might make sure the actuator isn't stuck on. If your timing is already off (in the advanced direction), the timing advance will make it even worse. When mine was advanced a lot it would haze at idle for a long time. EGT's weren't an issue too much but maybe if it is really advanced it would start to become an issue.

Before I took the guages out and with a 12cm tubine housing which is now been replaced with a stocks 18cm I was running 1225* and 22lbs empty and loaded I would back out of it at 1350* doing about 55mph on a flat runnning less than 1/4 throttle. I have not towed with my stock exhaust housing yet and do not have guages anymore so it will either tow or blow!!!

It is still hazing but not as heavy since I bumped the timing 1/4 inch. Also when I took the pump off to get it gone thru there was NO moon key in it and the timing had retarded so far that there was a keyway width in between the key slot on the pump and the key slot on the gear. But that is fixed now!!

22psi, empty on flat ground doing less than 80mph? That's more meaningful to me than the high EGTs. Sounds like something is really loading up your engine. Although the 12cm housing may have had something to do with it, what did the 18cm do to that number?

• 1 year later...

my 92 all of a sudden had low egt. Truck was still under warranty. I had loads of honey bee colonies on the other side of the Grapevine , 3 miles of 6% grade. I just knew it would not pull that grade with 15,000# load. I loaded 4,000 lbs on the bed and took it to a dodge dealer. They worked on it for a month then I got permission to take it to a shop called diesel dyno tune. It was putting 175 hp to the ground with 19lb of boost. Pyro at 550. Problem! pyro broke. Never used one since.

• Staff

my 92 all of a sudden had low egt. Truck was still under warranty. I had loads of honey bee colonies on the other side of the Grapevine , 3 miles of 6% grade. I just knew it would not pull that grade with 15,000# load. I loaded 4,000 lbs on the bed and took it to a dodge dealer. They worked on it for a month then I got permission to take it to a shop called diesel dyno tune. It was putting 175 hp to the ground with 19lb of boost. Pyro at 550. Problem! pyro broke. Never used one since.

So the seat of the pants meter didn't let you know you were still making power? Did the dealership charge you for the troubleshooting for a non-existent problem? I have had a pyro fail, and it's obvious when it's working properly and when it's not.

This thread is almost 2 years old and the OP never returned to let us know what was up.After reading through his posts the pyro was one of two thoughts, the other was he hinted that he didn't know if a previous owner had swapped injectors which is what I think he was seeing results of since it had a non stock turbo on it as well.I guess we will never know since he never came back to let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

That old 165 with an automatic was such a dog compared to my previous 460 ford gas guzzler. It didn't really feel that bad empty, but the guage said I didn't have power. Really got me between the ears. And I was all stressed about moving my bees back over that big hill. The grapevine is 3 miles long, with 2 solid lanes of big rigs working for position. Very intimidating when under powered and carrying 6 million bees at night. The truck was still under warranty and they did not charge me. The worst part is to admit that I was running a 20 man heavy equipment repair shop. I should have known better.