• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator (Bearings are failing)

• Owner

Ok gang... I got my next task at hand. :duh: Got up this morning and had to run to McCall to do a bit of grocery shopping and when I fired up the engine I had a strange growl/howl that was unsual. Went shopping and returned home and figured I would check it out. Pull the belt and check the tensioner bearing smooth and no wooble, water pump feels good, and the fan bear is good. But get to the alternator rough and howls when spun. Assuming I found my source of noise. I know Prowelder did a write up of a alternator rebuild on CF.com http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/257771-bosch-alternator-rebuild.html Also I know he got parts from Fixinrams.com http://www.fixinrams.com/ What the best price for replacement alternators?

If you get one from autozone or anywhere that has a lifetime warranty make sure you have them test it before you leave. I went back and forth 6 times to get an alternator that would work. It is a tremendous pain, and its only a 20 minute drive for me.

I either rebuild mine or go to napa now. Closest O-reillys is 75 miles away. I avoid advance and autozone if possible. The alternator I replaced 6 times was within 2 days on a jeep cherokee. Wouldn't even make it 5 miles before they quit working. They got pissed cause I made them start testing them longer before I took them.

I paid $180 from OReillys back in 3/2010 when mine took a dump on the TN back roads. I bought the only alt in town. I bench tested before install and it is still working. Supposedly lifetime in this case means that all parts have been replaced and only case is reused.I'd replace the bearings if I had time to go to the bearing store & match something up. Parts sure are cheap these days. The only problem is they frequently don't work.

Well my local NAPA has one for $129... I told him to get it in which will be tommorow and I'll pull my old one off today so I can just swap right there on the counter.

Hey very good choice on the Napa:thumb1: now they should have 3 differnt ones avaliable a reman 3yr warranty, a reman lifetime warranty and a new lifetime warranty and from my experince selling all of them they are all great products. I know you can buy lifetimes ones that are cheaper but you don't want to worry about breaking down somewhere their isint a Autozone around (like Minnesota). So I hope that makes you feel a little more warm and fuzzy:thumb1:

I will never buy another rebuilt unit from O'rieleys as they are all Cardone rebuilds and not worth the little you save and the lifetime warranty. I am on my 3rd Cardone alternator from O"Rileys in 2 years on my wife TDI jetta and it is a 4-5 hour job to change it. Bearing have failed on every one of them. Only getting 20k miles from the rebuilts, I also put a cardone steering gear on my 05 ram this winter and it to is also loose again with only 5 k miles on it like the stock one I took off. O'Rileys rebuilt Cardone components...........Never again for me. They are cheaper than anyone else for a reason I have found.

Kinda late on this thread but I would not install a standard output alternator. I would pay the extra money and get the high output 200 amp alternator. This will put an end to the dim headlights while the grid heaters are cycling and save your batteries to boot. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350362932627&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT This is what I plan to do when my alternator passes on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be helpful to spec generic parts for the common failure items. Starter contacts & plunger. Which ones? http://www.sherco-auto.com/contacts.htm Vac/PS Pump reseal Large o-ring 039 (orange = Viton?) Small o-ring 132 Seal (double lipped) 28x38x7 Also needed: Cummins gasket between block and engine Perhaps need braided steel oil line between pump & engine What about bearing for belt tensioner? Alternator rebuild used to be standard. What are the specs & sources. I'm always in a hurry when something craps out so frequently just buy something to get going. This would be a good sticky if/when completed (accurately).