• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Window tint

I know the topic of window tint has been talked about alot on the internet, but I'm wondering..can you buy an actual window for the 2nd gen (driver and pass door) that comes from factory with a darker tint, like a 40 % or darker? I know alot of places are cracking down on aftermarket tint but if it's a factory job they don't say anything here.

Tint has been around my area for a long time with no issues, but they're starting to crack down on it on the fronts saying you can have none at all now, but nothing about the side backs or back window, they can be blacked right out as far as I know. I admit I do understand how it wouldn't be a good feeling being a cop walking up to a car at 12 o'clock at night with completely blacked out windows not being able to see inside, but that being said they can't see in the back seat ,because they're aloud being tinted. I can understand limo, but i can't really understand why a 50% or higher is so bad. Anyway, I thought i'd ask because I know a guy who drives a mack and got ahold of windows from factory that looks like about 20% on them and he got stopped and they said they are legal. Thought maybe Dodge put some out there :(

Different states and provinces have different regulations. Here in NY side windows can't have more than 70% nor can the windshield have anything additional below the factory tint stripe. Rear glass isn't restricted. Rear side windows on SUVs and trucks isn't restricted. The way the law here is written it doesn't matter if it's factory or not - the only thing that could potentially matter is if it was done pre-1991 and is grandfathered, I won't quote that part. I doubt any manufacturer has factory tint darker than the standard 73%. If your friend's Mack is registered out of province, your province's equipment laws won't stick.

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Code § 375. Equipment. Section 12-a. (b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street: (1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or (2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

Know your local laws.