• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Cannister question

Replaced my filter not long ago and noticed when i filled the cannister (black cap off) the fuel level rose and than disappeared. I thought maybe the filter absorbed the fuel, therefore tried it again with the same result. Shouldn't the fuel stay within the cannister or does it return back to the tank? Any feedback would be appreciated.

on my 02 the inlet is at the top of the canister and the outlet to the vp in on the bottom. i could see the fuel running into the outlet but pretty much no where else. when i install a filter in the canister i snap into the cap and screw it in and have never seen in the filter after it is installed. i just bump the starter a couple of times and start the truck. i think they changed the canister in 02 and mine is probablly differant than yours though.

it would be under pressure when it is running. whenever i change my filter the cannister is always full of fuel, well almost full anyway. i always have to be carefull not to sling out. with the inlet and the oulet where they are i dont see how it could drain to any thing unless something is sucking up into the vp. my inlet is to high to let hardly anything back into the fuel line.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing stopping the fuel from running out of the fuel canister would be the fuel pump. The job of the fuel pump isnt to stop fuel from moving through it while its not running. The VP isn't supposed to allow fuel to easily pass through without the engine running so its not going out that way. I wouldn't be concerned unless you had a hard start issue.

The only thing stopping the fuel from running out of the fuel canister would be the fuel pump. The job of the fuel pump isnt to stop fuel from moving through it while its not running. The VP isn't supposed to allow fuel to easily pass through without the engine running so its not going out that way. I wouldn't be concerned unless you had a hard start issue.

No Hard start issue, just curious as to where the fuel goes if nothing is present within the cannister when bumping the starter to fill the cannister. I thought maybe it goes thru the bypass line once the VP44 has been primed.

No Hard start issue, just curious as to where the fuel goes if nothing is present within the cannister when bumping the starter to fill the cannister. I thought maybe it goes thru the bypass line once the VP44 has been primed.

Most likely its running out the supply line and through the fuel pump.

you sure you dont have aleak somewhere. cant see how the fuel would go completely out of the canister unless it was leaking.

Ya know dripley, thats a good point and I'm not sure what I was thinking because the supply line is on the side and not the bottom like I was envisioning in my mind. So for the fuel to leak out, there could be a leak or its flowing through the VP.....which isnt supposed to happen easily. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Ya know dripley, thats a good point and I'm not sure what I was thinking because the supply line is on the side and not the bottom like I was envisioning in my mind. So for the fuel to leak out, there could be a leak or its flowing through the VP.....which isnt supposed to happen easily. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

the only way to leak thru the vp is to run uphill.

• Owner

The center tube might be damaged or the water drain is leaking... :shrug:Because at least on my truck the plastic center tube has the outlet hole at the top and should hold fuel without draining out. So if the water drain is leaking then it will keep draining out on you adding air to the system creating a hard start...

no leaks, except thru the drain valve. i simply twist the lever and drip goes away. On my cannister, inlet on the right hand side and exits at the bottom and to the left towards vp44. i bumped the starter and fuel level rose within cannister and poured over. once it stopped pumping after the 25 seconds, the level in the cannister started to go down.

• Owner

no leaks, except thru the drain valve. i simply twist the lever and drip goes away. On my cannister, inlet on the right hand side and exits at the bottom and to the left towards vp44. i bumped the starter and fuel level rose within cannister and poured over. once it stopped pumping after the 25 seconds, the level in the cannister started to go down.

But pull the filter out briefly and look at the center tube notice the holes are at the top. So technically there is no where for the fuel to go...