• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My truck sputtered out on me this morning. Started just fine and ran about twenty miles and then it gave one quick sputter and it just died. It wants to turn over but will not. I checked the codes and there are none. It has been running just fine no probs. I pulled the injector lines and I am getting fuel thru them. I can hear the lift pump working when I turn the key. Its like it is out of diesel ? perhaps bad gas ? I had about 1/4 of a tank on Friday so I filled up and have driven about 40 miles total with the new diesel with no problem till now. I did not look at my FP gauge this morning, when I started the truck but it was working just fine on friday always right at 18. No codes it just sounds like it is out of gas ! Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Rob

I pulled the injector lines and I am getting fuel thru them. I can hear the lift pump working when I turn the key. Its like it is out of diesel ?

How much fuel thru the injectors? Even though you can hear the fuel pump I would pull the outlet line from the fuel pump and check there. You should get quite a bit coming thru the line if you bump the starter. With out a fuel pressure reading that is current I would start looking at the fuel supply and move forward.:2cents: Good luck!

[*]Got fuel in the tank?

[*]Yes filled up Fri

[*]Is the lift pump moving fuel to the VP44?

[*]Yes pulled the outlet on the lift pump and hooked up a 16 oz bottle and just bumped the sstarter and it shot 4 oz into the botlle

[*]Is the VP44 pumping good amount of fuel with the lines cracked?

[*]Yes pulled the outlet on the vp44 and bumped not sure how much pressure I am looking for but it was spurting out the oultlet side of the vp44

[*]Is there any error codes?

[*]NO there are no codes when I turn the key 3 times it come up

[*]P PCU ------ done P ECU ----- done no codes.

[*]It wasn't even like it ran out of gas where it will sputter for 30 or so seconds. It just quit running.

[*]It turns over just like normal but just will not catch and fire.

• Owner

Lift pump is dead...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/lift-pump-diag/lift-pump-diag.htm

10. Measure the amount of fuel in the container after the pump shuts off. If the amount of fuel in the container is GREATER than 1.33 liters (45 fluid ounces) and the fuel is bubble free, then the low-pressure fuel system is OK, the cause of engine performance problem lies elsewhere. No further testing of the low pressure fuel system Is required. If the amount of fuel in the container is LESS than 1.33 liters (45 fluid ounces), proceed to step 11.

ok update I had a new lift pump in my glove box so I installed it and the truck still will not start. :banghead:After I bump the key now I get a reading on my FP gauge of 10 while the lift pump is runningAlso I am now getting the PCU code 1693 and the ECU code 1689. Death for vp44 code correct ?Thanks Rob

not a good sign, especially since you lost your lift pump. any chance you had the vp disconnected and you forgot to plug it back in? the truck want sart if it is not plugged in and throw a 1689 code. i have had that experiance:doh:.

P1689No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump ModuleI had a buddy bring me his truck a month ago with this code and symptoms. His fuel relay was going out. I swapped it for...I think it was his horn relay, and he hasn't had any problems since. Easy one to try anyways.

Yes I did reprime. I spoke with Chip @ bluechip diesel and he helped confiirm the vp. The Fp gauge came up to 15. I have a question about the walbro pump tho. This was on my truck when I bought it. Mounted on the frame under driver side. It apparrently was a kit that converted the old style pump. I have searched it and find people using them. Any thoughts on the walbro. Also my FP gauge is inline on the outlet side of the filter that is correct right ? I have to admit I do not remember looking at my Fp gauge Sat or Sun on my way to work or on my way home. I do remember looking at it Fri and it was just like always 18 with a slight drop on acceleration 17 -17.5. Oh well I guess I need to pay more attention to my gauge. MY fuel filter is repalced every 7000 miles. I am putting a new one in with the new vp. My walbro is sucking straight out of the tank. Should there be a filter between the walbro and tank side? I do not see one on mine. Thanks Rob

Ok got it back together and got her started. I have about 10 on the FP again . I just shut it down. OK this is a brand new out of the package pump. I bought it a year ago and put it in the glove box. I am a little leery of going back with the walbro. I had a solid 18 on my gauge with that walbro for the three years I had it. So not sure what to do next. Decision time! thanks rob

Ok got it back together and got her started. I have about 10 on the FP again . I just shut it down. OK this is a brand new out of the package pump. I bought it a year ago and put it in the glove box. I am a little leery of going back with the walbro. I had a solid 18 on my gauge with that walbro for the three years I had it. So not sure what to do next. Decision time! thanks rob

I am running a Walbro for the last 100K or so miles. Just replaced the pump casue it diesd on me during a road trip. After it cooled down started working again. Not bad. What are you using for a regulator? For a pre filter I am running one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10210/ For a regulator I need to switch to one of these as now my pressure drops to about 15 at WOT down from 18 at idle. The pressure drops to 15 and does retrun to 18. Both with the old pump and new pump. I had to pump the old pump vack in casue I got a bad walbro out the box. Vendor swapped it no issues. For the regulator I am going to get one of these set to about 19psi. I emailed them and said a couple diesel guys have used them for regs. http://fuelinjectionent.com/webstore/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=87 My whole fuel system is pushlok parker hose and -6an/jic fittings. I did this for field servicability.
  • Like 2

ok The saga continues. I was searching the web about 392 gsl it took me to another Diesel site and I found a 2006 post that had a picture of my exact set up for sale at Glacier Diesel so I gave him a call and explained my prob with the low pressure on the new pump. He told me I should go out and tap on the regulator in the return line. Which I did I suddenly have 18.5 on the gauge. I take it for a spin I hit 18. 5 and drop down 16.5 wot. I am happy I think. Not sure if I can take that regulator off and clean it up or what. Richard said there is some shims and a spring in there. But now my pyro gauge is not working for some reason. :banghead:Thanks Rob