• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendations on the best injector for my 1989 4bt

NI4NI

I have a 1989 4bt which is stuffed into a '74 Plymouth Satellite that could use a few more ponies than what the 0.050 over bored engine, blanketed turbo and charge air cooler are currently giving (probably 15 or so more ponies over the stock 105 HP engine). A guy that I know is recommending that I pull out the stock 4-hole injectors and replace them with 7X10 injectors.Would anyone like to comment on their thoughts concerning this approach?Many thanks,Brian

I have no knowledge about the early Cummins engines, but do you have any photos of the install/car?:piwwp:I used to threaten to put a 24V cummins in my barracuda, which always causes my dad to roll his eyes and grumble about the atrocity.

• Like 1

Dudes,Many thanks for the discussion / advice concerning my initial inquiry. Mike, I don't have an exhaust gas pyrometer in the manifold, but do have a boost gauge in the passenger compartment. Would your question be partially founded on the concern that my EGTs might already be a little high? It's probable that I'd need to remove the turbo and maybe even the exhaust manifold in order to install the thermocouple ... correct? Oh and you possess a '73 Charger? Now that's a body style that I'd worship righ up there with the likes of Christie Brinkley and Pamala Anderson!Sir CSM, below you will find the photos of the car and engine compartment. I actually started this project to get my mind off the administrative part of my current job which can be emotionally draining to the point of being depressing. The truth be told, there were a couple moments of this swap where the various challenges were almost overwhelming, but I stuck with it. Do you by chance still have that Barracuda? Damn those are some fine cars as well! To 98whitelightenin, we may actually be speaking about the same individual because the guy I'm working with is named Lee he's a member of the UW-Stout Antique Auto Club that I advise. He did caution me that the engine might haze a little with the 7X10 injectors, but we should give it a try first and then go from there.It's posible that we won't get the injectors into the engine for another month or so, but I'll keep you guys appraised of what comes out of this venture.Many thanks for your feedback,Brianpost-11226-13869817944_thumb.jpg

post-11226-13869817943_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Mike, I don't have an exhaust gas pyrometer in the manifold, but do have a boost gauge in the passenger compartment. Would your question be partially founded on the concern that my EGTs might already be a little high? It's probable that I'd need to remove the turbo and maybe even the exhaust manifold in order to install the thermocouple ... correct? Oh and you possess a '73 Charger? Now that's a body style that I'd worship righ up there with the likes of Christie Brinkley and Pamala Anderson! As for the EGT's it would be a smart idea because the sole fact your change the amount of fuel and of course as you increase fuel the temps do it. As for install you should be able to do it without removal. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm As for the Charger... Yeap it sitting out in the yard with a 383 CID and 727 Trans... post-2-138698179452_thumb.jpg

post-2-138698179447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As for the EGT's it would be a smart idea because the sole fact your change the amount of fuel and of course as you increase fuel the temps do it. As for install you should be able to do it without removal. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm As for the Charger... Yeap it sitting out in the yard with a 383 CID and 727 Trans... Mike, Many thanks for providing me with the great thread on how to install the pyrometer. Your Charger is a classic design and it looks as though the body is in pretty sound condition. Heck the long engine compartment could almost handle the added length of a 6bt, but like my car, the sheer weight would be pretty tough on the front end. I'd jump at the opportunity to get a Charger like yours and drop a jacked-up 4bt in it. Hang in there, Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jlwelding,Actually it'd be really nice if the old beast has air conditioning, but she doesn't. Perhaps you're looking at the jake brake vaccum pump which sits on top in front of cylinder #1. That's what runs my power brakes since the original 318 gas engine was removed (and a connection to it's intake manifold is what initially operated the brakes).Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sir Rogan,Many thanks for the feedback ion the old beast. Like many cars that would shiver at the thought of seeing snow and salt-encrusted roads, she's in the shed patiently waiting to try out a new set of 7x12 sac injectors and an exhaust pyrometer in April.Brian

I have no knowledge about the early Cummins engines, but do you have any photos of the install/car?

:piwwp:

I used to threaten to put a 24V cummins in my barracuda, which always causes my dad to roll his eyes and grumble about the atrocity.

Odd to see someone else with a Barracuda.

Mom has an all original '70 AAR 340-6/4(she bought it new) with like 35-40k mi on it. I had a canary yellow '72 'cuda 318ci. loved it!

--- Update to the previous post...

Get nozzles with the same spray pattern as your original nozzles

This ^^ is your best option. As for "available options/sizes", it's all in where you want to go with it.

I ASSuME that the 4BT (ive never had my hands on one) has the same style p-pump and such.. maybe a fuel plate and boost increase would be sufficient, for the time being?

I know on my 6BT, I first did a 3k governor spring kit, a #10 fuel plate, and a boost elbow (35psi) and the truck came alive.. A lot..