• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Books!

ISX

Sister went off to a big university specializing in engineering stuff so I took up the opportunity, told work I had better things to do, and went to the library there, which was practically a mall. I went straight to the engineering section that had to do with dynamics. First one is called design of machinery. I thought it was good enough there but I got home and looked at the table of contents and geeeeeeeeez, it has hundreds of pages on engine dynamics that deal with everything on the engine like the cam and flywheel and pistons and configurations and balance and hell I should just copy the contents page. I have been very interested in all that crap because they have to do with efficiency, which I am incredibly interested in improving. Theres about 400 pages about stuff dealing with the engine then another 300 pages of general physics that allow you to understand the 400 engine pages. 100 pages alone are on cam design. I'm going nuts over this book. If that wasn't enough, I got one on "fluid mechanics". Which is 700 pages of every detail of fluid that I cannot even fathom and will probably have to get my sisters book on calculus to understand it. Now if I could just quit my pointless job :banghead:

Like yourself ISX, I love engines. You are a far more experienced Cummins mechanic than I, and know a lot about this stuff. I always enjoy reading your posts. Its really a shame that there aren't many engine design jobs out there... All I wanted when I graduated was to work for CAT or CUMMINS on diesels. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a job there due to the fact my GPA was less than 3.5. As it turns out, becoming an oilfield dude (not quite oilfield trash) is a better fit. :cookoo: However, I still love reading about engines, the research, the knowledge that has already been painstakingly recorded in textbooks and largely forgotten. The old technology, though quite serviceable, is usually pushed aside. Your 12V cummins, with its bullet proof P pump will probably be the last of its type sold here. My 24V, will also be the last of its type sold here. New tech is nice, and I wouldn't mind a new 6.7L CTD, but I love the old 5.9. There are many amazing engines from the past, with much of the innovation taking place from WW1 to the beginning of the Jet Age. Since this is a diesel forum, I will post the diesel I like the most right now. The NAPIER DELTIC. It had no valves and no heads. But it had 3 crankshafts! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

• Like 1

Like yourself ISX, I love engines. You are a far more experienced Cummins mechanic than I, and know a lot about this stuff. I always enjoy reading your posts. Its really a shame that there aren't many engine design jobs out there... All I wanted when I graduated was to work for CAT or CUMMINS on diesels. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a job there due to the fact my GPA was less than 3.5. As it turns out, becoming an oilfield dude (not quite oilfield trash) is a better fit. :cookoo: However, I still love reading about engines, the research, the knowledge that has already been painstakingly recorded in textbooks and largely forgotten. The old technology, though quite serviceable, is usually pushed aside. Your 12V cummins, with its bullet proof P pump will probably be the last of its type sold here. My 24V, will also be the last of its type sold here. New tech is nice, and I wouldn't mind a new 6.7L CTD, but I love the old 5.9. There are many amazing engines from the past, with much of the innovation taking place from WW1 to the beginning of the Jet Age. Since this is a diesel forum, I will post the diesel I like the most right now. The NAPIER DELTIC. It had no valves and no heads. But it had 3 crankshafts! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

It is very interesting and I would love to be a cummins engineer but I need to know more first lol. I might go back and get some other books every now and then, they had a huge shelf of them all pertaining to engineering. I used to research that napier like crazy, I thought it was amazing and would watch a lot of youtube videos on it. Seems there are a lot of trains in Europe that still run them.