• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Will not start sometimes... Lack of power sometimes...

I have 2001 Dodge Ram with cummings engine. Has the following symptoms

[*]Sometimes you get in and turn key and it will turn over and over and never hits a lick, but if you turn key off and try again it cranks right up.

[*]Sometimes you get in and it cranks the first try

[*]Does not matter if it's hot or cold

[*]Sometimes it seems to be slugish (as in it will slow down on a hill and if you step on it, keeps slowing down), the next drive is just fine all the power you need.

I have done the following

[*]New fuel filter

[*]Checked pressure and it's 21 PSI at idle, using the test location at the injector pump

[*]Not sure about the following, it only pumps when cranking, should it pre-pump when you turn the key on? or does the pump only run when starting?

[*]Soon as you turn key off, pressure QUICKLY (2-3 seconds) drops to 0, should it not hold pressure for a while after it has pumped up?

Any suggestions?

I assumed there was no codes for no check engine light has ever shown, but I was wrong. There is a code P0216.I will need to get a differnt test gauge and install to see what it's doing when it decides to mess up, the one I have is way to short.

• Owner

Checked pressure and it's 21 PSI at idle, using the test location at the injector pump

Just because you idle pressure is fine doesn't mean your WOT pressure is good too... From another member of the site... :stuned:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8o24rw1eU

So when testing fuel pressure you need 2 number idle and WOT pressure. Because as you just seen you can have a great 19 PSI and at WOT fall to ZERO and be ruining a VP44 in very little time... :rolleyes: