• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I would like a chip for my 02

Hey, anyone have an opinion on a good "all round" chip for my 02 Ram? I don't want a tuner or the ability to adjust on the fly or anything like that, I just want good fuel milage and maybe a bit more torque and HP if that is a by product. There seems to be so many and prices are all over the place with them. I have been kind of looking at the Quadzilla Max Mileage. Anyone had any expierience with that particular product? I know there are plenty of different manufacturers but I like the USB update feature.

If you're going with the Quadzilla i'd go with the XZT rather then the mileage tuner. XZT has mileage option and a 65 hp option , just switch the toggle switch to choose either one. I had one on my 02 for a while, then I upgraded to the Edge Juice. I have the mileage option also on that one and Hp selections. I really like it :)

I looked at the Q Mileage Max but ended up buying the XZT+. I'm glad I did. I run empty most of he time so I run in the econo mode which is a few more hp I think. I only flip to power up when towing the camper. It's easy to plug into the engine wiring. A bit of a nusance to reach the wires. The harnesses could be longer... mostly figure out how you want to run the wires to the big harness gromet through the firewall so as not to foul the brake cylinder & steering column. There is no good place to mount the box in the driver's foot well. Probably the best would be to velcro to the E-brake bracket. I chose to tuck the harness & the box under the very edge of the carpet & ran the toggle through the knee panel, so easy to reach. I really like that if need be, you can turn the XZT+ OFF and the truck reverts to stock. I think you'll outgrow the Mileage Max. Now the good side is I believe that Quad will somehow convert these for the same price as the XZT+. I also made up & installed an IAT Fooler... installed a switch next to the XZT. In summer I have it turned off but it helps mpgs in cold weather by fooling the sensors into thinking that the engine is warmed up. (Or switch it off, on hot days). Russ

Need a few questions anwered:What type of chip, adjustable or programmable?Do you have or want a OBD II code reader?Ease of adjustment or somewhat hard adjustment?Do you tow all the time or just every once in a while?When you tow, do you tow heavy or light?Do you want to be able to have larger tires and adjust the speedometer for them?How much are you willing to spend?

I do not have OBDII but if it was available maybeEasy adjustI tow occasionally but when I do heavyI keep stock tirespay as little as possible of courseMy truck is a daily driver and I am not looking to get the most HP as possible or anything such as but I would like to have fuel mileage gains. I live in Canada and there are chips to buy here but they are $500 for just a simple plug in use it once type of thing. Over priced here as usual.

• Owner

I run a Edge Comp with the VP44 tapped and been getting about 21-22 MPG empty and 12-13 MPG towing my Jayco Eagle TT. I leave the Edge Comp on 5x5 and tow even on the highest settings without problems. I just monitor EGT's climbing high and adjust speed accordly to the EGT's... 6% grade I go over without even slowing down much 60 MPH and 1,100*F EGT's.Here is a sample of my MPG's on flat ground...

You then might look into a SMARTY.I have one and I get all of those options. Plus, you can get new updates online. The hardest thing about the SMARTY is that they have to be plugged in to change the settings. With the SMARTY, you get 10 different setting that you can use, depending on what you are needing to do. From fuel saver to dump in as much as possible.:lmao: You also get the ability to check for codes and clear them.You might ask THRacing on here as to what he has in stock or can get without being overpriced, as he is in Canada also.

I do not have OBDII but if it was available maybe Easy adjust I tow occasionally but when I do heavy I keep stock tires pay as little as possible of course My truck is a daily driver and I am not looking to get the most HP as possible or anything such as but I would like to have fuel mileage gains. I live in Canada and there are chips to buy here but they are $500 for just a simple plug in use it once type of thing. Over priced here as usual.

I just kept my eye open on the Cummins Forum site at the classifieds and got my Edge/Attitude on there used from a guy in Texas. Got it for about half the price of a new one, and hardly much more then a XZT, and I have gauges too now which is what I mainly wanted, the power is a bonus :lol: Check ity out over there, and watch, you may find something :shrug:

I think an xzt+ or an edge ez will be about right for you. I got my xzt through quads beta program and gave $200 for it new and sold it a few years ago for $150. Look on the cummins forum like Mike said and you can find good deals often. I couldnt tell a difference with my xzt on the mileage setting or off but on the 65 hp setting it gave a nice increase after I got a boost elbow. Before the elbow it really didnt do a whole lot, they really should come with an elbow from quad like edge does but I guess they cut a few corners.

Well the last couple days I have been doing a little research on tuners/chips. I have to say I am more confused now than ever. Everyone's tuner is the best. I have decided that $350.00 bucks or so is my limit. I know I could spend $1000.00 if wanted but it seems that all that gets are useless gadgets that will be looked at once and thats it. I read that one tuner has games in it. Imagine that now, who in their right mind would buy a tuner with games in it? Anyway enough of the ranting. It seems that I have a number of choices such as Banks, Superchips, Hypertech and Quadzilla. There are probably 10 others that I haven't found yet I am sure. I would say fuel economy is priority and then a bit of power for towing of which I do occasionally. I don't want to tear the wheels off my truck, I like it too much to do that. I am leaning towards Banks, good name, been around for years. Also Superchips are in the same bracket, although I think the Banks and Superchips are one and the same. These products seem to do exactly the same as their $600 counterparts. There is also Quadzilla, I like the USB update thing, good idea. So anyone at least give me a subjective opinion?