• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When you turn it off the engine slows down but still overcomes compression and rolls on to the next stroke until the engine gets to the point that it doesn't have enough momentum to overcome the compression. Therefore, the compression acts as a spring, the engine compresses the air but doesn't have the momentum so instead, it springs back, turning the engine reverse. It does this very quickly so the belt loses traction and squeaks. Everyone's truck except for mine does it, think I have heard it do it once.

Mine used to do this when the belt was new, since the mileage has accumulated it has stopped. I'm guessing my now old belt doesn't have that great of traction on the pulleys and hence doesn't squeak when the engine springs back. I am sure it will return when I put a new belt on.

You guys are getting way to technical about the noise. All it is is just the shut down attentuator. After all, if the belt made no noise how would you know you shut it down??

• Like 1

You guys are getting way to technical about the noise. All it is is just the shut down attentuator. After all, if the belt made no noise how would you know you shut it down??

Because the tools in back stop rattling..
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had it too with an old and new (Dayco) belt. I then got the goodyear gator belt and no more chirp since. Others have said it is the only way to stop it, it worked. Got it on ebay for around $24 including shipping.

• 1 year later...

Don't forget the belt tensioner. My truck made that noise for quite some time and many belts later. The tensioner and belt together did it. I felt great getting rid of that sound. It's gotta be easier on the belt from all the forces that ISX mentioned and yes there's a lot of chirping going on out there. Good luck.

• Staff

I had it too with an old and new (Dayco) belt. I then got the goodyear gator belt and no more chirp since. Others have said it is the only way to stop it, it worked. Got it on ebay for around $24 including shipping.

X2 on the Gator Belt. No more chirp for me either.