• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which level for Smarty

jlwelding

Yea but I cant wait:lmao: I gota get some fuel mileage going on. From two people Ive talked to say level 3, 60hp with timing. What is the diff between timing and no timing, because level 4 is no timing, I think, could be the other way around not sure.I hear level 7 is a lot of smoke, I really dont wont to ____ people off when in traffic:rolleyes:. I guess I just need to go plug it in and see what happens. :pray:Trans. just please hang in there for a few days and the new will be over with:lmao:in a day or two, or three, or four.

I run SW1 with timing. After talking to the Smarty folks on their 800 #, they said as long as your 'stock', don't run over SW5 with timing. If your not pulling, the system really helps when your in town driving, not so much on the highway. If your using less than the horse power your engine makes, how can it improve to much above that. The 'with timing', per Smarty, keeps you fuel system at a constant, thus making it easier on the engine. When your pulling, an increase will help city and highway with improvement in power. But per them, don't go over SW5 unless you invest in your trans and engine, for it can cost you in the long run. Like I said, I run SW1 because I don't lead foot it, I don't use one heck of a lot of horse power to drive down the road, and I keep my Smarty handy if things change and I need to ramp it up. I have run my truck in SW1 for 3 tanks, SW3 for 3 tanks and SW5 for 3 tanks. My mileage didn't really change any. I might be wrong, but why ramp it up if you don't need it. Change it as you need it.I will say this, call them on their 800# and they will take time time to answer your questions.

I run SW5 almost exclusively. I've got the supporting mods though. Gauges, lift pump, exhaust, clutch etc. I don't use the "added timing" on mine, because I get some timing rattle.........probably because of the tone wheel mod I did.:smart: SW5 is the best combo of power and mileage for me.Don't be tempted to run the higher levels on a stock truck. The power is addictive, and no matter how strong your self control is, you're gonna use that power!!! Just ask Mike how many stories we read about over at CF about guys tearing their trucks up!!!:duh::cookoo:

• Owner

The power is addictive, and no matter how strong your self control is, you're gonna use that power!!! Just ask Mike how many stories we read about over at CF about guys tearing their trucks up!!!:duh::cookoo:

It's true there is lot of people with heavy boots... :rolleyes: Play awhile on lower levels and learn to drive like a normal human...Then you can keep increasing levels till you find a level that works for ya... I'll admit it nice to run 5x5 on the Edge because the power is there if I need it but the rest of the time cruise control takes over.

Well there wont be any smarty till Tuesday, I went out to install and the smarty brought up a error saying something about program not there or some weird stuff. I call him and he said he tryed to give me some updates and they may have not down loaded right, and he wont be bake from the truck meet in Missouri till Tuesday.:doh:

one thing that drew me to the banks was the fact there were no adjustments. your right foot is the adjustment. i will admit i might have gone with something else if i had thought about setting on the highest level and just using my foot. it would be the same as what i have. all of those adjustments just turned me off.

My '03 is a early model with the 250 hp engine and 47 series auto. I've got my best continued mileage running on 7,and set at 75%. I did have to rebuild my trans within a yr after buying my Smarty due to lack of common sense and a heavy foot. I've played with every level trying to reach the best possible mpg,one road trip this summer with kin folk loaded I reached 20.1 mpg. I'm usually between 16 & 17mpg running here and there. I've never seen the hide side of 18mpg before,so the sun and moons had to have been lined up right. If happen to lug the engine I will see some black smoke. If You have POD feature,you might want to try higher levels and reduce the power and see how your mileage goes.

If I didn't tow a lot, I'd probably run SW7 all the time. However, when I tried it, it was smokey and got warmer than I like to see.I don't have enough CP3 or turbo or sticks to get the most of SW9. My truck as is, on SW7, feels like it's faster, quicker and less smokey than on SW9.:smart:

• Staff

I run SW5 almost exclusively. I've got the supporting mods though. Gauges, lift pump, exhaust, clutch etc. I don't use the "added timing" on mine, because I get some timing rattle.........probably because of the tone wheel mod I did.:smart: SW5 is the best combo of power and mileage for me. Don't be tempted to run the higher levels on a stock truck. The power is addictive, and no matter how strong your self control is, you're gonna use that power!!! Just ask Mike how many stories we read about over at CF about guys tearing their trucks up!!!:duh::cookoo:

Which settings? By added timing do you mean you run stock timing?

one thing that drew me to the banks was the fact there were no adjustments. your right foot is the adjustment. i will admit i might have gone with something else if i had thought about setting on the highest level and just using my foot. it would be the same as what i have. all of those adjustments just turned me off.

Once you get the Smarty tuners set all you have to worry about is your right foot, and with a Smarty you can adjust for better running... Banks is not favored by many for a reason.

If I didn't tow a lot, I'd probably run SW7 all the time. However, when I tried it, it was smokey and got warmer than I like to see. I don't have enough CP3 or turbo or sticks to get the most of SW9. My truck as is, on SW7, feels like it's faster, quicker and less smokey than on SW9.:smart:

That's a very common occurrence. SW7 seems to be the strongest tune on a stock truck. On my Jr on SW3, equivalent of SW5 on the Sr, I have no fuel pressure issues. I run my Jr on SW3 TM2 TQ2 now that I have all the supporting mods, studs, turbo, clutch, etc.

Which settings? By added timing do you mean you run stock timing? When I said I normally run SW5, I should've said SW5 "default" settings. That's a very common occurrence. SW7 seems to be the strongest tune on a stock truck. On my Jr on SW3, equivalent of SW5 on the Sr, I have no fuel pressure issues. IIRC, I read on another forum that that SW7 and SW9 were essentially the same in most parameters except for duration. Which kind of makes sense. At least to me!!:smart::duh: I run my Jr on SW3 TM2 TQ2 now that I have all the supporting mods, studs, turbo, clutch, etc.

I run my Smarty Revo on SW5 default settings 99.5% of the time. Those are the setting that have gotten me my best mileage on my truck since I've owned Mighty Whitey. This time of year I regularly see 18-20mpg tanks running around suburbia in 50/50 towing/empty tanks of fuel. If I do an extended highway run, especially in summer, I can see 20+mpg regularly. My two best tanks being 23.3, and 21.2mpg IIRC. Not to bad for a 8000lb. vehicle!!!:smart::2cents:

• Staff

I run my Smarty Revo on SW5 default settings 99.5% of the time. Those are the setting that have gotten me my best mileage on my truck since I've owned Mighty Whitey. This time of year I regularly see 18-20mpg tanks running around suburbia in 50/50 towing/empty tanks of fuel. If I do an extended highway run, especially in summer, I can see 20+mpg regularly. My two best tanks being 23.3, and 21.2mpg IIRC. Not to bad for a 8000lb. vehicle!!!:smart::2cents:

Gotcha, so by added timing you meant TM4. You run a little more timing that me, which will give you slightly better mileage and lower EGT's. My truck smokes too much with more timing, and really loads the oil up with soot as well.

Gotcha, so by added timing you meant TM4. You run a little more timing that me, which will give you slightly better mileage and lower EGT's. My truck smokes too much with more timing, and really loads the oil up with soot as well.

The torque management is different then adding timing if I'm not confused by your TM4 remark,its a different setting all together. I wouldn't run the highest setting in TM unless you've built up your trans-clutch ect.