• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Prepaing to hunker down...

flagmanruss

I'm in Rhode Island... about a mile from Ct line. It looks like the eye will miss us. There is no way the storm will miss us.We are high here, in the woods. Likely we'll lose power & communications. We are planning to spread our vehicles around, so no single tree fall can wipe out them all. The little generator I bought is running fine but my big Honda 6500 generator won't stay running. Too late now to get it serviced. We have the camper with it's gas appliances, a gas grill, a gas 2 burner hot plate. My cottage, rented to our niece, is a mile from the beach I have advised them to plan a sleep over someplace inland. I hope it is still standing after... there is a huge tree in the front yard, tiny lot... if it comes down, could wipe out the cottage &/or the house next door, or the utilities & block the street. I'll talk to you after...

This is not our first rodeo, though it has been quite a few years since we've been hit... and nothing approaching the record of 1938. Being as we primitive camp as well as the RV/camper, live in the country & are somewhat used to fending for ourselves... we are pretty well equiped. Did not have to buy a flashlight or batteries... well stocked on both. The new 1000 Honda generator started right up. Actually we are using up a lot of food from the freezer, so we don't need to keep it cold. We keep the vehicles pretty well fueled up... Fueled the lawn tractor & ATV... I had to wait in line 30 minutes to top up the truck with diesel & fill the gas cans we emptied. Grocery & convenience stores are selling out of food & bottled water. We are as ready as we can be.Russ

Well 800 miles away would be good but being its getting late there is no way... So you be careful and we'll all say a few prayers for ya... :pray:

HA!!! You beat me to it Mike.......although I was only gonna say 701 miles away.:lmao::lmao2: Batten down the hatches Russ, and stay strong!!!:thumb1::2cents:
  • Like 1

i ll be thinking about you russ. i just pulled out of elizabeth nc this am. took the rv with me and dropped it off in durham nc. it will be safe there. looks like the storm might clam a little before it hits you. there is going to be a hellava lot of rain though. try not to float away.

• Like 1

Power is back ON!! We're done hunkering down! Hot showers & flushing toilets! Yeah!! We have almost no damage to our property. We had no power since before 6 AM Sunday. No power, means no water. We are bucketing water to flush toilets (or using the camper). We are cooking on propane in the camper or gas grill. Also have an old 2 burner hot cooking unit as a back up. I had trouble getting the fridge in the camper running but finally got it to stay up on propane. We have used coolers to try to keep food cold. We used a freezer box I built for primitive camp (a 18" cube medical shipping box with 2" thick foam walls... I built a thin plywood box to house it & added 1" more of board foam). We weren't able to get dry ice like we do camping. We moved the freezer contents into it with wet ice. We did not loose any food from there... it did thaw eventually but we still had ice & cold. We have just finished cooking the last of it. Some food from the refridge... moved to an igloo boat cooler... didn't make it but most did.My new Honda 1000 would not run even the camper refridge... but it kept the batteries up. Propane fridge is digital... needs batteries.My old Honda EU6500 has not been run in a while... I couldn't get it to run more than 30 seconds. My buddy came over & worked on it for 3 hours, after which it would run for 3 minutes. We found brown **** in the in tank strainer... In the process, we disgarded the fuel & put in fresh laced with gum out. Going on the ****, I spent time yesterday getting the tank free. (They sure don't make it easy!) I pulled the filters (remained clean) & drained the fuel through a "funnel with a fine mesh strainer" Cleaned the strainer & poured through it back into the tank. Repeated until the strainer didn't catch anything. Looking into the tank with a light, I see brown on the tank bottom. Not sure if rust or gum. 2 Trees down just on our street, one hanging over the road, the other took all lines & wires all the way to the ground. In TINY Rhode Island 50% of people lost power, some 340,000. Ct is just as bad with over 500,000 initially. RI still has 35,000 without power. My rural town had 83 % of power still out. The El Co promised power back by Midnight Sunday. Higher density areas came back up first of course. Daughter got power back 6 PM Tuesday. She gave away a lot of food before it spoiled. I was able to get online on Tuesday at McDonalds with my old laptop while I was out for supplies we needed... I tried to log in but could not. Russ