• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Horn not working on 98

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have bought a 98.5 4x4 Cummins and the horn does not work when i press from the steering wheel but works with the EVS 2 factory alarm. Do you think its the clock spring? if so how big is the job to replace? Thanks...:banghead:

• Owner

Double checked the wiring diagram and if the alarm is working then the fuses and the relay must be good... So its either bad wire between the horn switch to clockspring or a bad clockspring. As for changing one I've never done it yet... (Sorry). The must advise I can give is disconnect the batteries at least 10-15 minutes before starting work this allows the airbag system to discharge and protect you from getting a face full of airbag... Might head over here and get a FSM... http://pdftown.com/Dodge-Ram-2001-Service-Manual.html

it is not that difficult. as mike says disconnect the batteries first. i let mine sit for a while. i was worried about the air bag going off. i believe ther were only four screws holding the air bag in place. once it is off just remove the steering wheel, you will need a puller, and as i remember it is right there. be sure you have your steering wheel centered when you do it because the clock spring comes set to go on a centered wheel. it was pretty simple to do, i dont rememeber how long it took.

well, I got it all apart to find out that the airbag plug was not the same! Went back to O'rileys they claim that they are all the same part number from 97-99 so they ordered a 2000 for me. If all else fails I guess I could cut the solder the old plug? The stealer wants 230.00 for new, O'rileys 40.00? Will advise soon:duh:

--- Update to the previous post...

While I'm waiting for my new clock spring to show, I put an ohm meter on the red wire coming from where the contact pad would be and grounded to airbag metal frame and got no resistance when pressing the horn? Anyone have that issue ? or em I doing something wrong? :neutral:

well ,I got the new clock spring today and traced the horn wire to the correct pin were it plugs into wire harness then checked the CS in the truck and it makes contact so the original CS is still good. Then I very carefully took airbag assembly off the outer shell to get to the bergquist switch ( thin copper thingy with heavy mylar glued to it ) no continuity at all!!! I called the stealer and they said you must buy a clock spring and airbag!!! WTF . I hope someone out in Mopar1973man.com land can HELP:banghead::cry: