• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

Combustion temps are far greater than the EGT gasses we measure, 2500°+ on a heavy tow. But the temp quickly drops as the piston goes thru the power stroke, and the temps are only that high on 3/4 strokes. It's not the flash temps that melt pistons, it's sustained cylinder temps.

When towing heavy, my oil temp has gotten up to 222* on the temp gauge that I have installed. This is when I was going up a 7% grade, towing about 15K. The coolant temp only got up to 200*.

Not to hijack but where is your oil temp gauge. I want to install one as well but havent decided if in the pan or off the filter housing. Maybe even the turbo return line? Not that the turbo would be indicative of engine oil temp but I am guessing the most brutal area the oil has to see would be in the turbo.

• Staff

Not to hijack but where is your oil temp gauge. I want to install one as well but havent decided if in the pan or off the filter housing. Maybe even the turbo return line? Not that the turbo would be indicative of engine oil temp but I am guessing the most brutal area the oil has to see would be in the turbo.

I would run the oil filter housing. I would like to find a place on the block to run it, but I am not sure there is one that will work. There is a port on the block just above the ECM, but I don't tink a 1/8" sender will get deep enough with the NPT to metric adapter to get accurate readings?