• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

State Police

Ldrivon

State police stopped me. My truck is home with engine trouble and I'm driving my wives 2000 v6 Camero. I was doing 76 in a 55. He asked me why I was driving so fast. I replied that my daily driver is a 12 valve cummins and I drive by sound.. He asks sound? I said yes. When my truck is screaming and you can't hear yourself over the straight pipe I know I'm doing 62-65 mph.. my wives car runs so smooth I forgotten I was in it... He handed my information back and said.. I understand... Have a nice day...Holy cow.. Did that just happen?

I used to live in Oregon and never found an Officer of the law accept any kind of reason or excuse for driving over the limit.I'd say you were mighty lucky and I would guess you won't get another free one if caught speeding again. Oregon loves speeding ticket revenue!

I was caught. Doing 69 In a 55 same road same place before. I pulled over immediately and when he'd asked why I told him I never changed my speedo gear and thought I was doing 64-65 when in turn I was faster.. warning again.. I respect what they do. I don't think their is enough of them.

I wouldn't tolerate any excuse either. How hard is it to glance down at a speedometer.. I would give a big ticket for the speedometer gear excuse because you obviously knew it was off since you used it as an excuse and didn't care to drive 5mph slower. I realize cops are suckers for good excuses but from what I have seen, all they want is respect. Every time I have gotten pulled over (3 times) I have gotten off the road and pulled into a parking lot. This means they don't have to worry about traffic at all. So far, it has worked like a charm, even getting me out of a C&I. I never give them an excuse. The C&I woulda been for pulling out of a parking lot and flooring it until I was 15 over the limit, blacking out all the lanes. He asked what my hurry was and I just told him you know how it is.. He said I should know better and let me off. If you give them excuses you are basically testing to see how stupid they are. Most will catch on and then you wonder why you have a big ticket to pay. I'm not trying to call you out on all this, just saying my take on cops.

It's not that its "an excuse" they always ask why. I tell them. I never disagree I wasn't speeding. I make them feel as comfortable as possible. They have the decision to give a ticket. When I was a reserve officer for 3 years I would have cited myself for the speed I was going. Hands down. I don't try to get out of tickets because from personal experience its annoying. I merely got really lucky is all. The amount my insurance would have gone up and the amount the ticket would have been I wouldn't been able to afford to fix my truck that has a toasted piston and I'm grateful for that.

--- Update to the previous post...

On another note before I stopped the person in my head I start at 0% (depending on the stop) that 0% chance they were getting a ticket. Following them, where they stopped, what they said, their manners, actions, any other factors I could see that. Would raise that %. After retrieving information ie: licence,insurance,reg. I would go back to the car and see how many tickets they have what their record is and based on all that information I would decide on a ticket or a warning. If I would have stopped myself I would have cited for 10 over. The infraction also added to the %. Hands down I repeat! I am lucky! Baby on the way , oil analysis states aluminum, I have a lot of expenses on the way, I'm lucky and grateful. I have been on both sides of the badge and its humbling still.

7-8 years ago, I got pulled over at like 03:00AM going out goose hunting. I had my buds trailer with the gear and decoys, as I was gonna meet him the the rest of the party at the field.Anyhow, he dropped his trailer at my house while I was working the day prior. No problem, I hook up in the AM, and head out to meet them. It's 45 minutes for me to get there, that's why the crazy early "go time" for me.Well, I pull out of my drive, and I look as I'm turning to see if I have trailer lights etc. I have them for the first block and the the second block before the main road, they go out. I stop jiggle the plug, and they come back on. OK, I thought, just a different plug than I used. Then I come to the stop before the main road , and the lights go out again. It's O'dark thirty and no one is out, so I grab a can of WD40 and spray the plugs of the trailer and my truck. Everything comes back on again like it's supposed to.Turn out onto the main street in my neighborhood, and it 4 blocks to the stop and go. My neighborhood is dark, so as I'm heading toward the light, I hit the brakes a few times to check brake lights and trailer brakes. All is working fine now.....................but Mr. Fife sees me touch the brakes LONG before the actual stop light, and pulls me over.While he's doing his check before approaching my truck and trailer, I get my DL, POI, and registration handy. When he gets to my door, the first thing he says is, "So where you headed so early this morning?" I did not answer him.He then said, "Did you hear me?" I said, "Yes."He then asked, "Why didn't you answer me?"I responded, "With all due respect, It's none of your business where I'm going right now."He said, "What do you mean."I replied, "Exactly that.....It's none of your business where I'm going now."He then said, "Why are you giving me attitude?"My response, "Why haven't you told me why you pulled me over yet?"His response, "Why the attitude??"Me, no response to that.Him, "I pulled you over because of you hitting your brake lights several times long before the stop light."I said, "OK, I was checking out the trailer brakes and lights before I really got out on potentially busy roads."Him, "Why didn't you say that in the first place?"Me, "You didn't ask."Him, "Get out of here."Never ever talk to the cops more that needed. They are not your friend. They gather evidence against you in traffic court. Don't volunteer info. Don't make small talk. They're looking for a reason to get you out of your vehicle to search it.Don't refuse a lawful request.............DL, POI, etc. When asked to exit the vehicle roll up windows and lock the doors when exiting. Roll up windows prior to cop getting to you vehicle. Always refuse a vehicle search even when threatened with them calling in the drug dogs etc. It's often a scare tactic.Don't drive drunk!!

How about this....You come to Oregon and I will show you some REAL duck hunting....You need to live in a state that doesnt pull over a blue collar american... If i was that cop i would have asked first if your having brake light trouble. Tell you since I had nothing to do I would love to help you if you needed it...If i looked into the back of your truck and saw long guns and a black dog...GEE are ya going duck hunting?.. ;) Good thing I didnt stop ya..You wouldnt have gotten your decoys in the water intime......

How about this....You come to Oregon and I will show you some REAL duck hunting....You need to live in a state that doesnt pull over a blue collar american... If i was that cop i would have asked first if your having brake light trouble. Tell you since I had nothing to do I would love to help you if you needed it...If i looked into the back of your truck and saw long guns and a black dog...GEE are ya going duck hunting?.. ;) Good thing I didnt stop ya..You wouldnt have gotten your decoys in the water intime......

If you truly are a cop, it's attitude like that in your last sentence which leaves "We The People" with little or no respect for those in your position.:duh: Had Officer Fife pulled me over and when he came to my vehicle had said, "Hello, I'm Officer X, and I saw you hitting your brakes several times long before the stop. Are you having brake light problems?".........I would've answered him. But he comes up to me, and first thing, asks me where I'm going. Last time I checked, most of the places in this country we don't need "papers" to travel or a cops permission.:nono:

I have to say reason for being stopped put aside, when a policeman stops me and walks up to me I intend to treat him with respect and I would expect the same from him . Seems like alot of them unfortunatley have a pissy atitude as soon as they walk up to the vehicle due to the fact your doing something wrong. Alot of times doing that something wrong doesn't make you a bad person, it just means your lack of better judgement got the best of you :lol:

I guess you didn't understand why I said you wouldn't have gotten your decoys in time is because I love duck hunting. We talk about passions when another person has an interest in a sport or hobby. Unfortunately you have had some bad experiences with law enforcement and by what I was trying to say is I would have used observation skills and treated you like a person I was a volunteer officer however with our ranch, family and full time job I chose my family. I miss the community events and doing PR with the citizens. Sorry I have seemed to strike a nerve with you it wasn't my intentions on doing so. I really dislike when someone is treating citizens badly and are badge heavy. It makes for bitter people. Good luck this duck season and if ya make it into Oregon I could entertain you for a limit of Wideon or green heads.

I worked 9 1/2 years as a Reserve Officer. I never busted anyone's @ss. Everyone on the unit had a day job. If you bad@ss somebody today, tomorrow he will be your customer at the hardware store. We were required to either live or work in the town. That does not mean we were ineffective... often we could change behavior with humor & our knowledge of the individuals involved. "Sam, you KNOW you can't do that!"

The "Staties" are not my idea of community Policing. Their take no prisoners attitude makes the public not support them... someday a cop will get into a jam & want the community to support him.

There was an incident where a St Trooper confronted a guy... nut case shot ST in the gut with a 45. Members of the public kept the cop alive... touch & go.

I was a lot younger & thinner then

Posted Image

(Supervising a Cub Scout Soapbox Derby... road legally closed to traffic.)

I was a lot younger & thinner then

Posted Image

(Supervising a Cub Scout Soapbox Derby... road legally closed to traffic.)

Russ, that has got to be the understatement of the year!!!!!!!:lmao::lmao2:

I'll bet you were quite the "ladies man" in uniform!!!!:thumb1:

On a different note, I've never had an issue with the state boys whether it be regular state police or the state conservation police. At least here in Ill-annoy, they're mostly regular guys and gals. For me, it's the local yokel town cops that to me anyhow, are nothing more than glorified meter-maids carrying sidearms!!!!:smart::ahhh: