• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

undercoating

• 2 weeks later...

The rubberized kind from 3M is the best, but the price is high. It stays nice for a longer time and doesn't peel and get all over your hands of you bump it after a couple of years like the cheapo kind. I get just as good a result from just keeping the frame painted well. If a spot blisters out, I use a rust converter that changes the rust to a black primer, then touch up with more paint and it all looks like new. If you paint, just be sure to use Low Gloss Black, not flat. The semi and gloss black doesn't look OEM.Advance Auto parts sells a real nice Low Gloss Black. It matches the frame sheen perfectly.MoparMan is right. Keep the frame washed everytime you wash the truck. Dirt holds moisture, = RUST.

Yes, there has been only a couple of instances where I have been able to bring myself to spend that kind of money for spray can undercoating. I did buy a special gun for spraying undercoating from the body shop supply store about 10 years ago. The undercoating comes in a gallon jug and is more affordable. I came out of that job looking blacker than the President. I have never used it again. I spent hours getting that stuff off of me. The spray cans are by far the easiest and cleanest way. The professional grade undercoating still wasn't as good as 3M. As you stated, it seems that everything that company makes is high quality. The 3M spray seems to cover as much per can as two of the others, so I really don't know if it is that big of a difference in cost in the end.Another thing. NEVER spray undercoating on a windy day. I bought a new truck once and did just that. The paint felt like sand paper, and I had to do a buff job on a truck that I owned for 3 days.I have had a couple of major screw ups with this stuff now that I think of it...Good luck with your project.Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt get the 3M kind but I have never found anything 3M that doesnt work good

Agreed!

--- Update to the previous post...

I wonder what Rino liner wound do? I see people camo out there trucks with it, it's got to be some kind of protection.

I've seen some trucks up here w Rhino Liner on the exterior. It looked pretty good actually. If one was to undercoat & do the bottom of the doors, rockers, that would have to be the best & longest protection.

Dave

I knew a guy that claimed that he would spray the underside of his truck so often with WD-40. Im not that decitated :cookoo:

The real old timers used to spray there vehicles w used motor oil. (UMO) A farmer that I buy hay from has his original equipment from the 50's. he thins his UMO down w D2, just enough so it spays better. He does it every year after hay season is over. I heard storys of guys spraying there cars & driving down dust roads to make the UMO stick better!