• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AC Squeak = bearing?

My air conditioning compressor recently started squeaking only while the compressor is engaged. Turn AC off & no squeak. I'm thinking bearing but haven't found a diagram to know that the bearing can be changed. The clutch is working. The only issue is the squeak & potential failure.I recently did the heater core and the AC is cold. Coolant is new, filled and not leaking. The less I have to disturb the radiator or AC the better. The usual "I want to be down as little as possible" applies. So...Can the bearing be replaced? Can it be replaced without removing the compressor? Does the radiator have to come out? Is the bearing a Dodge only part or is the bearing a standard size? We have a bearing supply house & I could order from there if only the bearing needs to be changed.It looks like bearing would be pressed into the pulley (P1 #3) of the pdf. In which case, I may be able to press out & simply replace. Comments?

AC_Clutch.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

If it was a bearing it would make noise all the time because the bearing is in the pulley that the belt is turning and when a bearing goes bad it makes a growling noise. The squeak could be coming from the belt tensioner when the A/C load is put on it. One way I locate noises is to use a 3-4 ft 5/16 hose. Hold one end to an ear and the other end to the suspect area. You can find and pinpoint noises along with vacuum and pressure leaks.

I have a couple of stethoscopes bought cheap from Harbor Freight. Noise seems to have quit for now but was definitely from compressor. I'll get ready to deal with compressor & all of the related parts but may put it off until next summer. Does anyone have a favorite place for AC parts - preferably with known good quality and prices? At one time I had a sales tax number & used that to buy at jobber prices. There is a substantial mark up between wholesale and retail. Quality would take priority over price since AC is expensive & I only want to do it once. I found these people as a start. https://www.ackits.com/

• Staff

I use the rubber hose because it can get around corners and behind things and right up to moving parts,IE a spinning pulley with out the hose smacking into the side of your head like a screwdriver could.:doh: As for the noise I'd wait until it becomes more pronounced. The wholesale people I deal with for a/c parts is 1-800-radiator. I know they'r in SoCal but I didn't see your location.