• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cam install thread

Please feel free to add or correct this list.Put the cam in the freezer over nite.First with the key out, turn windshield wiper on slow speed. Turn the key on so the wipers start moving, turn the key off when the wipers are full up. This will help you get the pushrods from 5 and 6 out without hitting the wiper arms. Remove the plastic cowl and the 2 rubber grimits.Disconnect batterys if you want (i dont)Remove the valve cover. 10mmI like to get small plastic bags with zip ties mark all the bags 1,2,3,4,5,6 ,start in front remove the rockers, 14mm nut on the pushrods.10mm on the rockers.Some like to remove the side cover to see the dowl rods into the tappetsTap the wood dowls into the tappets. Tie the intake and exhaust together for each cylinder. Some like rubberbands,i use zip ties. You will have to remove them later on one at a time if you replace the tappets and you should with a new cam.Unplug the wire harness under the bumper.remove the bumper.18mm The ac condenser will swing out of the way.Remove the tranny cooler.Drain and remove the radiator.Unhook the intercooler boots and remove the intercooler.Remove everything in front on the front cover.Take a pc of cardboard make a dot on the cardboard to represent the bolt pattern of the front cover,take a small screwdriver and punch holes in each one. The bolts are not all the same they need to go back on the same place you removed them.Be care ful with this step here. remove the cam retainer bolts 2 of them DONT drop them in the front cover.Make sure all the dowl rods are up because the tappets sit on the cam, and tied.Real slow and steady keeping the cam shaft centered best you can,pull it out.DONT bang it on the soft cam bearings.Remove the gear. Put it in a press to remove. Save the keyway You should get a new one with the cam, i could be wrong it has been a long time. Clean it off with soap and water. Put in the oven for 45 min on 300* (My wife loved that part)Grab the cam set the keyway in get the gear it should drop on of it only goes on a little use a press to finish the job DONT hit it with a hammer. Slide the cam tray in the cam hole lift up on one of the dowl rods. Use the hook in the kit to bring it out.After they are all out, drop a string down the tappet hole, use the hook to get it out put the cork in the new tappet.Put lube on the tappet and from the top pull the string until it is home,now turn the cam tray 180* so it holds the tappet in place then pull on the string out, put another dowl rod in the new tappet and tie down with zip tie.

It is a good weekend project forsure. You could call a diesel shop and ask them how much labor time is. They are faster because they do it all the time. For me i am 2 to 4 hrs longer than them. You can make the dowl kit your self i can post a picture of them if you wish. The cam tray you can get from cummins it is around 300.00. I used a friends. You can also make one.

It is a good weekend project forsure. You could call a diesel shop and ask them how much labor time is. They are faster because they do it all the time. For me i am 2 to 4 hrs longer than them. You can make the dowl kit your self i can post a picture of them if you wish. The cam tray you can get from cummins it is around 300.00. I used a friends. You can also make one.

I wouldnt mind pics of them if you can. Not worth the 300 for one cam change. Thanks It would probably turn into a 2weekend project for me. I would fix other things while the truck was that far torn down.