• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans Hunting?

jlwelding

Ok my trans will skip 2nd when your light on the throttle and go straight to 3rd and when you start easing into it it will down shift to second then go thru the gears just fine. Is this what they call hunting?It's not just doing it one or two times a day it will do it almost everytime, except if you are heavy on the throttle.

The solenoid is for the 1-2 shift. The dtt unit is for the 2-3. I also got the billet accumulator, and a couple other little billet bits with mine. I installed a dtt shift kit as well when I fixed my hunting problem.

--- Update to the previous post...

From all I read the best way to fix this issue on a 3rd gen is to install the DTT trans controller. Read nothing but great things about it.

Goerend says they don't like the dtt unit. They use a different one. I think they said they had some quality control issues with them. They are now selling something from tst I think. I went with the DTT unit though because goerend had yet to use any of the new ones themselves and I don't want to be the test guy.
  • Like 1

I don't recall hearing about this issue on other forums.. Seem's odd, how low are the rpms when it shifts, must be just above idle.

I thought the same thing when it started happening to me. Then I searched for it and found it was a very common problem.

I will doble check but I belive it is right about 1000.

JL...Check and see if your has the T.V. cable set up like the 2nd GEN'S...Iif so try adjusting the cable....i have had simuliar issues with mine and that fixed it.. was just out of adjustment:shrug:

Richie

• Staff

I don't think there are any cables on an 05, other than gear select.

On vehicles equipped with a Cummins diesel engine,

the transmission throttle valve cable has been replace

by the transmission throttle valve actuator (TTVA). The

TTVA consists of an electric DC motor, two potentiometers,

and a gear drive system. The TTVA is mechanically

connected to the transmission throttle valve in

the valve body by the “D” shaped opening in the bottom

of the TTVA shaft. Changes in the TTVA position

are therefore transferred to the throttle valve and

cause changes in the transmission throttle pressure.

ADJUSTMENT

The Transmission Throttle Valve Actuator (TTVA) does not require any mechanical adjustments. All changes in throttle

valve position are controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The TTVA does require an initialization period after the actuator has been removed or replaced. After the actuator

has been removed or replaced, move the iginition to the ON position for thirty (30) seconds. This will allow the ECM

sufficient time to perform the internal calibration procedures to learn the TTVA’s current “zero” position. Once this is

done, check the ECM for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If no DTCs are set relating to the TTVA, the TTVA is fully

calibrated and ready for use.

I knew the cable would be to easy. It is still under warranty so I guess I will try. I know what they will say though, we could not find anything. If you put your foot in it it will shift just fine but when you just have thr throttle cracked it will skip 2nd and go straight to third give it a little more throttle and it will down shift to 2nd then up shift right on through the gears.:shrug: