• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird cooling system problems HELP?

I've towed a little bit with my trucks and the only time my thermostat swings is when its bad or was purchased somewhere other than Napa. My temp stays firmly on 190 when towing unless it is going uphill for a long time. I run the 180 degree tstat. The cummins tstat is a waste of $70 in my opinion. I also change my tstat every 30 to 40k miles.

the one befor the oriellys made in isreal or germany was the napa with the same results. what part number did you get? i got the one that cost $27 i think. did not pay attention to the part #. i just want one that works and have not tried the cummins yet. but $70 is alot for a tstat.

• Staff

i take the chart pretains to the cummins tstat. wher did you go to get the info with the serial number?

Cummins quickserve

I've towed a little bit with my trucks and the only time my thermostat swings is when its bad or was purchased somewhere other than Napa. My temp stays firmly on 190 when towing unless it is going uphill for a long time. I run the 180 degree tstat. The cummins tstat is a waste of $70 in my opinion. I also change my tstat every 30 to 40k miles.

I only paid $30 ish for a Cummins tstat!

Got everything back together and drove her around today. tems seem to be holding under 190 and modulating between 181 and 188. Never used to do this before but atleast it stays under 190. New t-stat chyrsler 180, flushed radiator and intercooler and lookat everything else and could not find any problems. Will rep[ort more as it develops

The (best) NAPA stat and 8/10 oz's of RMI25 (to keep the cooling system conditioned).With the age of these ISBs, keep an eye on the core tanks (sides) for leaks and do not waste money trying to make repairs... get a new radiator (you can get a copper core btw).And; if I could only find the shroud to rad clips..!If your fan belt scrubs on one side, look to replacing the tensioner (around 350K). The bearing lasts forever but the spring & arm assembly will ____ (wear out), throwing the pulley off track.pc