• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need to wire my slide in camper

Hi all,OK so I have a plug to my back bumper to run my trailers 7 pin round. Now I need to wire my camper & be able to run both. Duz anyone make a harness for a Dodge to an RV plug. Can I get something w/o having to splice in every where?Thanks,Davepost-44-138698180338_thumb.jpg

I don't have your exact issue... but when I made the extension harness for me gooseneck, I installed the plug through the bed wall and cut the external ears off the make plug & dropped it through the hole & ran it back to the plug under the bumper. I unplug it when not in use. (Actually, it was not a new harness... I used the same harness on my old C30 & ran it under the tailgate. If I was starting from scratch I'd have wired the plug after installing the cable, so as to avoided cutting into the plastic ears (handle).)I made up a exension for the 7 pin RV plug. An extension for the flat style plug which I run with an adaptor. No way would I cut into the OEM harness.

• Like 1

I got the 7 pin recepticle and harness from my local NAPA store. Had to be ordered but was only two days out.Mounted the recepticle on the inside of the box (just ahead of the wheel well) on the drivers side. Pig tail from my slide in camper plugs right into it and the extra pig tail length sits in the bed space just ahead of the wheel fender.

• Like 1

John from RVpigtails.com told me to go to a local auto parts store & ask for a "T" fitting that plugs into the wiring harness. All I get are confused looks.For me that "T" would be the way to go because when I go back to my fiberglass topper I can just unplug & be back to what I had before.Maybe I'll try to call a Dodge Dealer. John said that's all they do to make it a Tow Package.Thanks guys for your help, I'll see what I find out!Dave:)

My Chevy had a plug in the wiring harness behind the bumper... Unplug it, plug in the T... connect T to your camper. In my case I used the T to connect to my trailer socket under the bumper. It was very nice as it left the OEM wiring unmutilated. I looked under my 01 and could not find one on my Dodge. Maybe different as mine Dodge has the camper special package.

Hi Guys,Good news at least for me. Seems like I was giving a contradiction in terms. I went to Camping World yesterday & was looking for something to weld on my hitch extension for my chains & found a T-conector wiring kit. They had to special orded it, odd because they had them for other vehicles but not for a truck.So the term for what I have now is truck camper a slide in are the sides that pull out on the new RV's. I showed him a pic of my setup on my phone & we clarified the problem. So we'll see if it works. Hopefully it's not a plug in for the rear hitch!:banghead:There is a connection behind the left front inner plastic fender liner. There are instructions in the package so it remains to be seen!Thanks for your helpful suggestions!Dave:thumb1:

Makes sense to have a harness connector forward for a slide in camper... Since I already have the trailer plug under the bumper, I guess I don't need a harness connector there. I just didn't look far enough forward when I was wiring for the gooseneck. When I was about to install my gooseneck hitch, I looked under a buddy's bed since he had his gooseneck wiring "professionally installed" by the dealer (I bet they dropped 40k into the slant load gooseneck with living quarters). The crap splices were all turning green... The T connectors are really slick as far as they go. The one for my Chevy lacked a ground and brake wires but I ran them separately anyway. Actually had duplicate wiring on a 83 GMC 1/2 ton I towed with before I got the C30. My ex got that truck in the divorce... I had to leave the flex fan & bumper with Reese socket welded on... unplugged the wiring harness just as slick as could be along with the rest of the trailering equipment that I installed. (The only thing we had going was trucking the horses out to the management area to ride... you throw away one (me), you throw away the other. By the time the divorce was final, I was living in a camper abutting the management area with my horse... and the bar fly had totalled the 1/2 ton probably driving drunk.)When I got my Japaneese 80 Challenger back from the ex, the steering box had been tampered with, parts not available. I should have tried harder, that was a nice car.

That's quite a story. Man, you had some hard times. What goes around comes around, I take it from what you wrote!Some times, the only friends we have are the horses......HP too!Thanks,DaveI only hope I get the correct part for what I need when I get back through to pick up the part on Thursday!:banghead:

The C30, camper special, built 454, etc My Scamper Camper home

Posted Image

The GMC 1/2 ton, 305, heavy as a brick outhouse Moritz stock trailer... not enough truck!

Posted Image

The 80 Challenger

Posted Image

Somebody had stripped the lash adjustment out of the steering box so you needed 3 lanes to drive it. The parts were not available new... but with enough patience, a used one might have been found, or the cover removed welded & re-threaded. Bet she drive that off the road too. (drunk)

Nick & me in rendezvous camp

Posted Image

He was a special horse... riding out of camp at dawn

Posted Image

I was heart-broken when I lost Nick a couple of years ago. He was 28. (I got him green broke as a 4 year old.)

Posted Image

Wow FlagmanNice pix, I was trying to remember what an 80 Challenger looked like, nice! I've got an 86 Dodge Shelby Charger that I've had since new, covered up in my back garage w/ 14K. Should put the Historic plates on it, maybe next year! Nick is a beautiful horse, I will send a pic of my Lucky, 10 yr old Gelding Thoroughbred. I have a saddle for him but I still need a sinch, bit & bridle for him. Everytime I put a halter on him he keeps looking for the bit to go riding. It's almost always too muddy around here. He was 400 pounds under weight 2 yrs ago & I can't get the final 100lbs on him. Have him on Rice Bran stuff Max Glo I think it's called, we'll see what happens, looks like it's working. That's what they suggested I try on one of my TB pages.I need another horse trailer, wife had me convert it into a tailgate vehicle as per my opening pic. Lucky wouldn't fit in it anyway! I'm like you, gotta have a truck.post-44-138698180464_thumb.jpgMe & Lucky, Him & Jazz just hangin' out, they get along so well!Thanks for posting those gr8 pix,Dave

post-44-138698180456_thumb.jpg

Dave,Good looking horse. If the horse is wormed & all, then I would not worry about "100 lb". Thoughbreds are high energy, generally like to eat. Nick was a race bred quarter horse with lots of hot TB in his blood.Quarter horses are a cross between Spanish barbs of the Conquistadors & English Thourghbreds... Early American colonies received most of their horses indirectly from the Spanish & continued after the American Revolution. Denhardt 133Quarter Horse is oldest type in US. In colonial days it was called the short horse (or 1/4 mile horse) because it was bred for racing short distances, usually the Main Street of the town. Stud books from 1832 lists blood lines into Colonial days and famous modern quarter horse families can be traced back. Denhardt 178-183The quarter horse has never been a pure blood line for short horses crossed only among themselves, tended to be short on running ability. For this reason it has been the practice to cross other blood into it. Several breeds have been tried but the best results have been with Thoroughbred blood and is now standard practice. Denhardt 182Since Colonial times smuggling Spanish horses was frequently practiced. Patrick Henry, the famous Virginia gentleman & Patriot, gave specific orders to a friend detailing the saddle animal he wanted brought back for his personal use from the Pawnee country across the Mississippi. "best & most pure Spanish breed" Daniel Boone was not above crossing the river for Spanish horses. Philip Nolan led one group of adventurers after another into Spanish territory, even mocking the Spanish authority. Nolan went to San Antonio in 1795 and returned to Natchez with 250 horses. Later he drove 1000 head from San Antonio. He was killed March 22, 1801 when his party was attacked by the Spanish. Denhardt 226 As time went on there are numerous accounts of others in this lucrative business.These actions demonstrated the ease that Spanish Louisiana and Texas could be penetrated. Denhardt 133 famous Amiricans as Dan'l Boon & Partick Henry trafficed in Spanish horses. The most notorious was Phillip Nolan... the Spanish put a price on his head. They were put off by the mountain men's long rifles more than once but eventually charged the American camp at dawn & shot him down. Source: the Horse of the America's by Robert Moorman Denhardt @ Norman:University of Oklahoma Press 1947What kind of saddle do you have? Girth length? I might have something. Russ

Wow Russ,<br><br>You are quite the historian, I enjoyed the lesson, nice read! I did think that I saw some TB lines in Nick, same stripe on the nose, color, shape. Horses are great animals, I see why man &amp; animal have bonded. They love being around people &amp; are so trusting.<br><br>A musician friend of mine hooked me up with my saddle. His brother is a saddle maker in Kentucky, land of the TB. I don't have a pad for him yet, but after the 30th we start getting 2 paychecks again. When we get caught up, I will get a pad on him w his saddle &amp; get a measurement, so cool of you to offer!<br><br>Today I teach at 2 Universities on the way to the second I will stop at Camping World &amp; pick up my t-connector, I hope they got it right, I know it's in they called me on Tuesday. So I hope for the best, I did show the guy that was ordering a pic of my setup on my cell, so he knew exactly what I was trying to purchase.<br><br>Hope your feeling well,<br>Dave<br><br>BTW, what power programmer do you have on your Cummins? I read something the you installed a Switch on it to turn off when you don't need it

--- Update to the previous post...

Wow Russ,<br><br>You are quite the historian, I enjoyed the lesson, nice read! I did think that I saw some TB lines in Nick, same stripe on the nose, color, shape. Horses are great animals, I see why man &amp; animal have bonded. They love being around people &amp; are so trusting.<br><br>A musician friend of mine hooked me up with my saddle. His brother is a saddle maker in Kentucky, land of the TB. I don't have a pad for him yet, but after the 30th we start getting 2 paychecks again. When we get caught up, I will get a pad on him w his saddle &amp; get a measurement, so cool of you to offer!<br><br>Today I teach at 2 Universities on the way to the second I will stop at Camping World &amp; pick up my t-connector, I hope they got it right, I know it's in they called me on Tuesday. So I hope for the best, I did show the guy that was ordering a pic of my setup on my cell, so he knew exactly what I was trying to purchase.<br><br>Hope your feeling well,<br>Dave<br><br>BTW, what power programmer do you have on your Cummins? I read something the you installed a Switch on it to turn off when you don't need it

Sorry Russ, I must have taken too long to respond, went to submit & I needed to put my mane & password in, so when I got back to this it recorded all my keystrokes, sorry!

Yes, Nick was a race bred Quarter Horse with Lots of Hot TB in him. I have traced a lot of his bloodlines back.I run the Quadzilla XZT+ chip. Also I made up... followed the directs here... a IAT (Intake Air Temperature) fooler. The idea of the IAT fooler is that the Cummins runs richer when the intake air is cold. So in cooler weather it trick the engine into running leaner, picks up about 1 mpg for me in cooler weather. In summer or if the underhood temps are hot, I shut it off. These are still being researched as to what the ideal IAT fooler setting is.

Yes, Nick was a race bred Quarter Horse with Lots of Hot TB in him. I have traced a lot of his bloodlines back. I run the Quadzilla XZT+ chip. Also I made up... followed the directs here... a IAT (Intake Air Temperature) fooler. The idea of the IAT fooler is that the Cummins runs richer when the intake air is cold. So in cooler weather it trick the engine into running leaner, picks up about 1 mpg for me in cooler weather. In summer or if the underhood temps are hot, I shut it off. These are still being researched as to what the ideal IAT fooler setting is.

Hi Again Russ, Did you post a link for your sw diagram? I'd like to check that out, interesting! I did go to pick up my t-connector, they got it wrong. The one Curt sent was for a standard 7 off of the rear tail lights. I thought that was going to happen! Now they ordered one for a 5th wheel hookup, this one many be correct, it's gonna cost me about $86 & change. My wife will be taking it this weekend, luckily the horse tailer has lights & she will be driving in daylight hours. I did the best I could, :shrug:Dave

The Quadzilla switch is part of the XZT+ harness. I routed it up behind the knee panel & drilled a convemient hole. I drilled a hole next to it for the IAT Fooler (Intake Air Tempature Fooler). Here's a long thread to Mike's IAT Fooler thread. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3231-MPG-fooler-Design-phase I still have my single value resistor... I'll get back to the rotary switch with various experimental resistor values. There is a diagram. Basically one takes an extension harness (available from Casper's Electronics http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1503 ) My IAT extension marked Caspers Electronics #109017 "MAT Air Temp Senser Extension". I cut it to extend into the cab and add a switch so one can go from the OEM sensor (variable resistor) to a fixed resistor, equivelent to a warmer air temp. The ECM adjusts the fuel setting accordingly. Russ