• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Common rail lift pump issues...

RJC2

I ran into a friend today who has an 06 2500 CTD. He has done some mods to it [a box and trans upgrades] and takes really good care of it. I have a 2002, and discussed the lift pump issue I am currently having with it. He wasn't sure if there were any lift pump issues with his model truck. Do these later model trucks have this issue as well?

With a '06, I don't remember if he'll have the OEM lift pump in the fuel tank, or on back of the fuel filter canister. The fuel filter canister style was a POS. Mine was weak within 1.5 years owning my truck. The in tank LP is better, but not great........especially if the truck is modded.I run a GDP Walbro LP system on my '04.5. 25-27psi normally. It's no longer offered thru GDP though. If I were looking for a new lift pump system now, I'd go with the "Raptor". GDP also sells these. What's nice on the Raptor is the internal pressure regulator.............no return line to the tank because of the external pressure regulator.Any other questions.........just ask!!!:cool:

• Staff

05+ (and 03-04 with the retro fit) have a lift pump in the tank. This is a very good pump, but is helped by the fact that the CP3 does not need pressure for lubrication like the VP44. Bosch specs the flow requirements at -5 to +15 psi, but most believe 2-15 is better. I am running 400 rwhp and 3 filters on the stock lift pump and with clean filters don't go below 5 psi WOT. I just noticed I drop to about 3 psi WOT, but have 22K miles on my filters. 450 rwhp and below is fine with the stock pump. Tell him to put a Baldwin PF7977 in the OE filter canister and to look at improving his fuel filtration.

• 5 months later...

John I have the airdog-100 and when I installed it I used the 17 psi spring. On the why home tonight I punched it to get through a light. Then two lights later I had stop and the truck idled very poorly. Idle dropped down to 600 and was very rough. Next light it did the same thing but when I put it in neutral the idle smoothed out. So when I got her on I-75 I opened her up to blow the cob webs out, no heavy smoke (none really) ran it up to 100 for about two miles then back to 65. Got off the e-way stopped on the on ramp and she idled smooth again. The truck is stock no controller, stock injectors after market 4" and a AEM Brute Force intake. I plan on doing a lifter adjustment this week end. Anything to worry about or do you think it was a fluke?Don