• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tire Update

dorkweed

Yes!!!:duh:

Wow, I thought for sure I'd get a "smart ___" response to my "smart ___" response!!!!!:duh::cookoo::lmao: Anyhow, yeah, I've got less than 1/4 +/- 1/64th or so" of tread left on my Cooper Discoverer ATR's. I didn't want to get "new" tires prior to my NoDak trip just because I didn't want the new tires throwing stones onto the rockers the whole trip. Been there and done that before, and my truck surely does show it!!! If I were coming into summer with these tires, I'd let them go. But, winter around here is only a few weeks away, and I've a got a rebate on these bad boys to boot. The rebate essentially pays for the mounting and balancng!!!!

On my 98.5 the Michelins went 70k and still has some tread left. I replaced them with Kelly Springfields and they were good for about 40K, I put on some Coopers and they were not going to see 30K. I rotate every 5K miles. On my current truck an 07.5 the original Michelins were all cracked at 37k miles. The tread looked like it was good for at least another 30K. For my current tires they are Michelins. I am hopeing the cracked sidewalls were a fluke.

I had a set of tires crack like that about ten years ago. I went to replace them thinking they were unsafe but the tire shop assured me that there was nothing to worry about. I drove them like that for about 2 more years and never had a problem. They were Coopers and did wear well.

• Like 1

I had a set of tires crack like that about ten years ago. I went to replace them thinking they were unsafe but the tire shop assured me that there was nothing to worry about. I drove them like that for about 2 more years and never had a problem. They were Coopers and did wear well.

Good to know!!:smart:

I got the Cooper Discoverer AT3's put on this afternoon. They wound up being $994.xx out the door; but they're offering a $75.00 mail in rebate on selected Cooper tires, so essentially they came out to just under $920.xx!!!!:spend::spend::duh: Thats actually about $20.00 less than I paid for the ATR's 3.5 years ago!!!!They look pretty sharp. They are more aggressive than the ATR's I had on, but they're not loud going down the road. I'll get some pix on here shortly. Wound up with almost 74,000 miles on the ATR's, but they were riding real hard due to the lack of tread. Not good with winter and snow not far off. These new ones make the crappy roads around me almost seem smooth!!!!:lol: Not!!!!! But the ride is much smoother.:smart:

i would give $1000 for any set of tire i could get 74k out of. the best ihave done is 65k out of a set of michelens. they are $1200 now. i willl admit i drive my truck pretty hard and that cuts into tire wear alot. so maybe it is just a personal problem.:shrug: happy for mr. weed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got just under 1,000 miles on these new Cooper Discoverer AT3's now.:duh: Pretty quick, huh??!!!Anyhow, I like them. They drive and handle just like the ATR's did; but get this, with less road noise!!!!!:2cents::thumb1: They are more aggressive than the ATR's, but they're quieter on the highway at cruising speed. I've not noticed any mileage loss either.............I'm just over 1/4 tank, and have almost 500 miles on it.They handle harvested corn pretty darn good too. Went on a goose hunt a week ago Saturday, and had to drive thru harvested corn on moist/frosty ground going in, and then damp wet ground going out. No problems. The tire seems to clean out really, really well for an AT tire............unlike the ATR's.:2cents:So far so good IMHO!!!:thumb1::cool:

• 3 months later...

I got the cooper at3s and like the ride on dirt or highway and big differance on wet pavement as far as traction just rotated the them at 5000 miles guess I will see how they hold up plus there american made and they are pretty quiet on the highway

Guys, I've got just under 8000 miles on the AT3's now. No appreciable signs of wear. They're much quieter on the road vs. the ATR's. They track better than the ATR's running on the interstate also. I've done a couple 1000 mile round trips with them in the last month; and have another 500 mile round trip scheduled for this Sunday................gotta return the "female dog" to her owner that I bred my "male dog" to. The site wouldn't let me use the proper word......._____!!!!:lmao::lmao2::doh:I've not seen a mileage drop either because of the new tires...........even with the slightly more aggressive tread pattern. Could be the mild winter also. The little bit of snow we've had this year...........much, much better than the ATR's.Just my:2cents:

• 7 months later...

OK guys; I put on just under 22,000 miles on my Cooper Discoverer AT3's since I got them. Almost at 1 year since purchase!!!:smart:These are some really fine tires y'all. No appreciable wear, and no drop in mileage in normal driving. Pretty good in mud and slimy conditions.............as we had to 4 wheel into a hunting spot in NoDak...............4+miles off road in misty/rainy/muddy weather. The AT3'S did well.......much better than my buds Goodyears.I'll surely recommend these bad boys if ever asked!!!! Only downside is that they don't make these in an LT255/80 17E!!!!:smart:

I always ran Coopers on almost everything we had sitting in the driveway - from the monte carlo to the wifes 4runner to my toyota pickups. They were a great tire obviously or I wouldnt have kept buying them. Then I bought my first dodge ctd and it had a set of cooper at about 80 percent tread. Withen 30k miles they were shot and I was replacing them. It wasnt an alignment issue I keep all my vehicles tight and well maintained. I couldnt afford a new set at the time and a guy I worked with had just sold his ford and had a spare set of goodyear silent armor pro grades in his garage. I bought them for a very reasonable price they were approximately 50 percent tread and they outlasted the coopers. Same truck, same type of driving. When I eventually replaced those I opted for the Good year duratrac as I do quite a bit of off road hauling of oil pipe, water tanks, seperators, etc plus we get pretty nasty lake effect snow so I opted for something more aggressive. Now obviously they wont last as long as an at but its a sacrifice Im glad I made they are excellant tires I often pull heavy trailers down poorly maintained oil leases and sometimes across fields if it isnt too wet to save from tracking all the equip back. They will dig like no tomorrow ans so far Ive got almost 25k on them and they are wearing excellent flat as a board. I wish I could afford a set of at tires mounted on another set of rims so I could switch back and forth as I only help my friend (in the oil field) a few months out of the year and theres really only about 3 months of nasty weather so for about 6 months out of the year I technically dont need as an aggressive a tire but such is life! They are a great balance for what I do and the road noise is very acceptable considering the tread pattern.

I always ran Coopers on almost everything we had sitting in the driveway - from the monte carlo to the wifes 4runner to my toyota pickups. They were a great tire obviously or I wouldnt have kept buying them. Then I bought my first dodge ctd and it had a set of cooper at about 80 percent tread. Withen 30k miles they were shot and I was replacing them. It wasnt an alignment issue I keep all my vehicles tight and well maintained. I couldnt afford a new set at the time and a guy I worked with had just sold his ford and had a spare set of goodyear silent armor pro grades in his garage. I bought them for a very reasonable price they were approximately 50 percent tread and they outlasted the coopers. Same truck, same type of driving. When I eventually replaced those I opted for the Good year duratrac as I do quite a bit of off road hauling of oil pipe, water tanks, seperators, etc plus we get pretty nasty lake effect snow so I opted for something more aggressive. Now obviously they wont last as long as an at but its a sacrifice Im glad I made they are excellant tires I often pull heavy trailers down poorly maintained oil leases and sometimes across fields if it isnt too wet to save from tracking all the equip back. They will dig like no tomorrow ans so far Ive got almost 25k on them and they are wearing excellent flat as a board. I wish I could afford a set of at tires mounted on another set of rims so I could switch back and forth as I only help my friend (in the oil field) a few months out of the year and theres really only about 3 months of nasty weather so for about 6 months out of the year I technically dont need as an aggressive a tire but such is life! They are a great balance for what I do and the road noise is very acceptable considering the tread pattern.

I'm just opposite of you.............I've never, ever had good luck with Goodyears on a pickup truck rated for more than 150/1500/half-ton rated!!!!! Not arguing, just saying!!!! I've always run my tires "hard". On my '04.5, I try to keep 70psi in all 4 corners. Seems to work well, for me, with my on and off trailer towing. All that said, I've never had a set of tires that I've gotten less than 60,000miles off of!!!!! Could be the grandpa driving style I do!!!:smart::smart:

82k is alot of miles for one set of tires! I could only dream of those kind of numbers!@ dorkweed, like you, Im just relaying my experiences not trying to stir the pot either. With you running those high air pressures, Im surprised you get such good life out of your tires. Do you haul/tow alot? I run about 55 in mine empty if Im towing Ill pump em up a little more. I would just think with 70 psi all the time you would be wearing the centers out faster. It must be workin for you though from the sounds of it :thumbup2: