• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What Brake Pads are you using? 3500

That's correct. I don't have a lockup controller so I am not familiar with them and don't understand why and how they are used. I seem to remember there is some risk of something happening if you don't use it right.I took my truck into the Local Dodge dealer a few years back to have some work done and I asked them about getting an exhaust brake install and they told me I couldn't do it on the auto.Wasn't smart enough to challenge them on it and just took them on their word.So ya, I don't know any more than I have been told. And I don't even know if I have been told wrong!Is it really a viable option? Is there any risk to my truck with this lockout controller and I am guessing it is all a custom install. Probably even a special exhaust brake for autos? etc.

You can certainly have an exhaust brake with an auto. It will work a little bit without any modification. If you want it to work really well you will need a lockup controller. A lock up controller will keep your converter locked up for specific periods of time. Every controller works a little differently but the gist is they make the truck act like a manual. The automatic version may have a different way to actuate the brake than the manual. As far as I know they can be a little hard on input shafts, iat's, and map's. I used mine for a long time without any problems.The install for a controller will be different for each version. I have an ATS one and I think it was a mild pain to install. I did it myself. If I had to do it over I would get a BD controller.

• Like 1

You can certainly have an exhaust brake with an auto. It will work a little bit without any modification. If you want it to work really well you will need a lockup controller. A lock up controller will keep your converter locked up for specific periods of time. Every controller works a little differently but the gist is they make the truck act like a manual. The automatic version may have a different way to actuate the brake than the manual. As far as I know they can be a little hard on input shafts, iat's, and map's. I used mine for a long time without any problems. The install for a controller will be different for each version. I have an ATS one and I think it was a mild pain to install. I did it myself. If I had to do it over I would get a BD controller.

BTW, cajflynn, congrats on your million mile mark w your 53 Block! Amazing! Go CTD all the way! Dave