• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Banks Ottomind not working and no gauges...

i am if you have had any luck yet.i just installed some new injectors and started having a problem with mine. low boost, egt's and power. it turned out the ground wire you spoke of earlier had broken. i reinstalled it and my problems went away. all of my gauges were working during this. there is another ground wire under the dash that i had forgotten was there. thought maybe that had something to do with your gauges not working.

i will find out today , just got back ottomind back from Banks today...will advise

--- Update to the previous post...

well the saga goes on!!! Got it back today, the invoice shows it tested good on test truck gauges worked in truck good to go:hyper: ...

so, I plugged it in knowing that now that the ground is going right to the -- side of the battery and all connections are soldered and has that nice shrink tubing on all I prayed to the "BANKS GODS" :pray::pray::pray: stuck the key in and turned it and that awesome Cummins growl :cummins: came to life but to my surprise my little red needles on the gauges just laid dead:mad: no movement at all:banghead:

I just don't get it! It is real simple stuff here. Everything is new and I put an ohm meter on the gauges and they work....so I will call and wait on hold for 30min tomorrow:yme:

i dont want to dig thru all of the replies,but there is a second ground wire form the ottomind. is it connected? mine is grounded near wher i mounted it under the dash. i know when my main ground under the hood was broken the gauges still worked, and the system still functioned though my power was seriously off. i am thinking the second ground could be for the gauges or whatever. do the lights still work on the gauges? did you drive it and see if the power is back to normal? i am going to look at mine better this weekend and see what i have.please dont take any of the above wrong. i dont think you are doing anything wrong. but whatever is wrong is going to be something simple. good luck with Banks tomorrow.

I have the Banks Power Pack TLC system including Stinger Plus, Stinger TLC, Git Kit TLC , the Ottomind wire loom on mine only has one ground wire that is supposed to go to the intake bolt. Once the loom is in the cab there is only a plug and twist connection. Gauge lights work great. At this point I will take any advice:) Thanks... I'm thinking that I will send my gauges down to Banks to see if they can test them...should of done that in the first place:( but they said if a ohm meter will make the needles move then they work...

i am looking at a set of instructions for install of a banks power pack tlc system. on page 7 is an exploded view of the wiring harness, high ram, turba and ect. if you look at the harnes coming out of the back of the ottomind the first wire has ring terminal on it. that is the ground i am talking about. it is on mine, though there is no referance to it in the instructions. in figure 15 ther is another ground shown for the gauges. i for got about that one and dont remember installing it on mine. but its probably there.[ATTACH]3239[/ATTACH] do these instructions look like what you have?

96397-24valve_dodge-v8-web.pdf

i have manual 01/03/03 pn 96397 v.3.0 but it reads the same ...the ground wire in fig 15 is for the gauge lights...what looks like a 2nd ground wire in fig 5 ( loom number 12 ) is the blue wire that goes across the fire wall to PCM on auto transmission ( passenger side )

the instructions i have are version 8.0 and figure 5 is of the turbo. there is an exploded view of the wiring harnesses, high ram, turbo etc. the ground wire is the first wire coming off of the harness. it is not mentioned in the instructions, but there is one on mine. i had it off just a few days ago when i was trouble shooting mine, i had it grounded to the frame work under the knee bolster.i also have the ground at the fuel canister. i am not sure what version of the instructions i used to install mine. i down loaded these off the banks site a couple of weeks ago. i just figured if mine had the ground and the new instructions showed the same one that yours might have it too.:banghead::banghead:now i am getting a knot on my noggin.

I will ask Banks tomorrow if the is another ground wire. I just went into garage and looked at the original wire harness, there was only 1 blank wire with a crimp for a bolt to go thru. 1 blue wire with a female crimp, 1 yellow with a round male crimp, 1 map sensor plug and 1 TPS plug...

well i just dont know. i guess you will be at banks mercy tomorrow. i dont know why mine worke at all without the ground under the hood was broken except for maybe the other ground under the dash. goes to show how much i know about how these things work i guess.

Okay I have a solution to your problem. I have had the same thing on my Ford F-250 6.0 diesel with the Gauges not working, everything lights up etc... I just fixed it today actually based on the responses to this forum. I think that the main problem was the ground wire after all. My banks power would only work during heavy rains so that gave me a clue that there was a bad connection.

Try first checking the ground cables, there area two of them, and they may not be directly related to the wiring diagram, it may be a ground wire of another system that you plug into.

On my truck i noticed there was a ground just above where the six gun board that goes near the steering fluid reservoir (on the top right side of the truck wall just under the hood). I basically just took the bolt out, sanded down the ground cable where it attached and screwed it back in. this may have done the trick. the other ground is readily apparent and probably is not the problem which is connected to the firewall near drivers side (you can easily trace it from the banks board wires)

Again I just basically took all the connections apart and followed where all the wires go and found two fuses on the wire paths, one i believe was like a 5 amp fuse the other a 2 amp, I made sure they both worked as well, and the two amp had some white residue so i cleaned it up and put it back in. To access this 2 amp fuse i had to take my right battery out (While facing the truck) and found it underneath the 3 wire plugs that go into the side wall just right of the battery.

Anyways try that out for beginners, it is very easy maybe took me an hour or two but thats only cause i was taking everything apart if i had to do it again it would only take me like 20 minutes.

Again whats under your hood may be oriented differently but it should give you some hope!

--- Update to the previous post...

Ok see it right there above the steering fluid cap? Make sure that little nipple is inserted into that hole where the bolt screws in, it was not on mine and I believe that is what fixed the problem.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/webkit-fake-url://12725250-DF7A-4B81-88E2-DAF83A3DA7B5/image.tiff

Had it finally running on my f250 with good power, then after driving for an hour or so it stopped working. Now that I think about it I think the only reason it worked for that time was because I disconnected the batteries when I was messing with it, and it took about an hour for the trucks computer or whatever the problem is to bypass the banks.I will mess with it some more and let you know if i figure it out. Try disconnecting your batteries for a like a half hour and then starting it up the gauges should work and you should feel the power for about an hour lol

Okay I think I have localized the problem area here, everything I have posted thus far you probably should just scratch off the board. It seems that the 2 amp fuse that located on a wire on one of the connectors on the picture shown below is loose, and therefore keeps going on and off.post-11343-138698181109_thumb.jpg What I did since its about 10:30 pm now was turn the truck on and wait for the leds to flash on the banks board as i just moved the wires with my fingers under connectors A and C. Sure enough the green led went on. as I would move my fingers back and forth it would go on and off, so I knew it was a wire and it seemed like it was the black wire that had the 2 amp fuse attached to it. That would explain my problems at least when it rained hard and my banks would mysteriously turn on. I will try to work on making the connection solid throughout the week. The manual I used can be seen at http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals/777/96450.pdf and Im sure you can connect the dots. Ill check back soon with updates, till then ill be laying rubber speed bumps with my 315/75/16 tires lol

mine all came back when i redid the ground under the hood. turns out the second ground did not come out of the wiring loom from the ottomind like i stated earlier. i have two going to the a pillar. one for the gauges and i am not sure what the other is for. it could be for the banks but i have to take the apillar off to see. if iget my fuel leak fixed i will open up and see. my system is working but it bugs me because i remember hooking up 2 grounds. i hope i did not get that mixed up with the ebrake. it has 2 grounds, one for the switch and one for the controller.

I checked mine and yes there is a ground coming from brake controller to steering column . As far as the Ottomind there is only one ground wire witch I have run to the battery... I called Banks 4 times yesterday to tell them my gauges still don't work and was put on hold with no less then 4 caller ahead of me... I'm so frustrated with all the time ( sense 8-24-11 ) and waiting on hold with Banks I'm ready to pull everything out of my truck and go with Juice w/attitude CS...I have called them 4 time ( to test ) and have gotten right thru....[TABLE=width: 1265][TR][TD][TABLE=width: 769][TR][TD=class: content, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE=width: 769][TR][TD][TABLE=width: 532][TR][TD=colspan: 2][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=width: 1265][TR][TD][TABLE=width: 769][TR][TD=class: content, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE=width: 100%][TR][TD][TABLE=width: 532][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

well, I got through to Banks ( after 30 min on hold ) Everyone is beside themselves why the gauges work in there test truck... They told me in the Ottomind set up there is only 1 ground wire with is now going to the neg side of my bat. They said try an meter and check for millamps ...I did and nothing on wires to gauges and the pins from the Ottomind... I tried my transmission gauge wiring and got power... I guess my truck was not met to have boost and EGT gauges... Anyone have luck with Edge ?

well i dont know what to say. the funny thing is when my ground came loose my gauges still worked. the tuner was not functioning properly by the gauges worked just fine. there are alota folks here with edge and i am sure they would be more than happy to help you. good luck.

• 1 month later...