• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I had it checked at another shop who attached a timing light to the #1 injector line. They did not actually pull the line and attach a dial indicator onto the plunger itself. I did not tell them what the timing was supposed to be at either, which makes me believe it more. But they had it running in the shop and you could really smell the unburnt fuel smell and a white haze. The mechanic thought I was washing a cylinder due to timing being bumped up and having the unburnt fuel. But when I asked him that maybe having a little unburnt fuel at idle, when I was higher up in RPM maybe it would be right where it needed to be in injection process, he tried to tell me the pump itself adjusts for higher RPM. The P-pump is a static timing correct?Another thing is I had the shop adjust the valves at the same time as the timing was adjusted, if that helps.The truck was a California truck, if that makes a difference, although the EGR and Cat are removed and the intake horn was replaced with regular horn.The reason I am thinking injectors is the truck doesn't have as much power as my 24 valve did with just RV 275 injectors and a timing box. I should probably have them pop tested.Thanks for your patience and help.

I had it checked at another shop who attached a timing light to the #1 injector line. They did not actually pull the line and attach a dial indicator onto the plunger itself. I did not tell them what the timing was supposed to be at either, which makes me believe it more. But they had it running in the shop and you could really smell the unburnt fuel smell and a white haze. The mechanic thought I was washing a cylinder due to timing being bumped up and having the unburnt fuel. But when I asked him that maybe having a little unburnt fuel at idle, when I was higher up in RPM maybe it would be right where it needed to be in injection process, he tried to tell me the pump itself adjusts for higher RPM. The P-pump is a static timing correct? Another thing is I had the shop adjust the valves at the same time as the timing was adjusted, if that helps. The truck was a California truck, if that makes a difference, although the EGR and Cat are removed and the intake horn was replaced with regular horn. The reason I am thinking injectors is the truck doesn't have as much power as my 24 valve did with just RV 275 injectors and a timing box. I should probably have them pop tested. Thanks for your patience and help.

Yes the ppump is static timing. You might check compression as well.
  • Like 1

• Owner

Take notice to white smoke in the table...

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff]Engine parameter:[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff, colspan: 2]

TIMING is:

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff]RETARDED ( - )[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff]ADVANCED ( + )[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EXHAUST TEMP[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CYLINDER PRESSURE[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE

(BELOW P-TORQUE) WASTEGATED [/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) [/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NOX (oxides of nitrogen)[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HEAT REJECTION[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HYDROCARBONS (HC) [/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BLACK SMOKE: 1000RPM[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BLACK SMOKE: PEAK TORQUE[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BLACK SMOKE: RATED[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]WHITE SMOKE: < 1000RPM[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]WHITE SMOKE: > 1000RPM[/TD]

[TD]increases[/TD]

[TD]decreases[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• Like 1

So with increased timing I should have less white smoke according to the table? Now I am confused. I understand that timing should be checked with a dial indicator, but I do not have the know how, time, or tools to do it myself. I have had it checked by two different shops, both telling me it is at 15 degrees. I am not losing coolant or oil.This all makes me think possible injector issue, but it runs O.K. without miss and is O.K. power. Maybe it is a compression issue. I don't know maybe I should drive it and not worry about it. I guess I might just be paranoid. The white smoke wouldn't bother me much if it weren't for the unburnt fuel stench.

The white smoke is unburnt fuel. Low compression can cause this. Dirty injectors can cause this. Overly advanced timing can cause this. Valves that are way out of spec could cause this. Those are your options. If timing is sure to be 15* then it wouldn't smoke much at all except a minute at startup. Lets hope it's not low compression. Take the injectors out, clean them and pop test them. Then we'll go from there.

• Like 1

• Owner

I mean so far out that you will hear the compression coming out through the valves.. Fat chance. The injectors are your best bet right now considering you are sure the timing is correct.

ISX did the tesing a while back and adjusted his valves for max gap and it still ran just fine just doggy. So I'm going to agree with him it either injectors or timing...
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well finally was able to get some new injectors which were 5x0.10. These helped alot with the low end power. I do not notice much white smoke now, but it has warmed up alot now. Just thought I would update.Thanks for all the help.

Well finally was able to get some new injectors which were 5x0.10. These helped alot with the low end power. I do not notice much white smoke now, but it has warmed up alot now. Just thought I would update. Thanks for all the help.

The outside temps have less to do with white smoke than most people think. The cylinder temps are mostly responsible for white smoke. Retarded timing will create white smoke, but not after the engine has warmed some. Also if it is a timing issue there is a real good chance your truck will miss and run like crap until it warms up some. I think you hit it with the injectors.

• 2 months later...