• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

aftermarket exhaust

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see any MPG change. I did mine because the tail pipe was full of holes... finally the back of the muffler fell out. I just could not see putting steel back there. Very Happy with the SS. 3" full length would have been a step up from the OEM with reduced tailpipe but only 4" was available when I did it. The straight through muffler is just for show. Truck has a drone.Truck got a bunch louder when the mice chewed up the insulation on the cowel box & firewall. Wife used Ipod when she rides with me anyway...

Did you ever start a thread regarding this because.....I fully disagree with you. A naturally aspirated engine will normally run at about 80% Volumetric Efficiency with amazing scenarios where a NA engine could reach up to 100% VE. But a forced induction engine will run at 100% VE or more which means that in short, the volume of air within the cylinders is far more than the actual displacement. So therefor the overall volume will increase dramatically. I could also go into great depth with this too but I'm only being short about it here incase you have another thread started. :)

so i was not alone in my thinking, (lost this thread for a reply).... I agree with you because what is the advantage of boosting unless your increasing the amount of air into the engine to raise cylinder pressure. The other guy has it right for most normal engines, but we must remember that non NA engines cannot achieve anything over 100% vE. :smart:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a rolling smoke diesel 5" as well. Wife got it for me for xmas :hyper:. Started with a the stock 3" straight piped then to a 4" didnt really like the sound of it. Too "glass pack" for me. Only went with the 5" for the lower deeper tone. Now it is probably just me but it does feel like it spools a little bit faster. :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

this is good to here I had just cut my muffler off since it was rotting off the repair job a muffler shop did and it is right now just passed the cab where its been cut off ,it sound good can here the tubo wisitle its the stock 3 inch I was wondering also if I stayed with the 3" straight back with no muffler if it would cause any issuse do these trucks need some back pressure or is it better for it to be straight through ? also moparman are the egt higher ,the same or better with the 3''

I was wondering also if I stayed with the 3" straight back with no muffler if it would cause any issuse do these trucks need some back pressure or is it better for it to be straight through ?

There are many guys with straight piped rigs. Semis are straight piped as well. Just depends if you are willing to listen to a little extra "noise"!

this is good to here I had just cut my muffler off since it was rotting off the repair job a muffler shop did and it is right now just passed the cab where its been cut off ,it sound good can here the tubo wisitle its the stock 3 inch I was wondering also if I stayed with the 3" straight back with no muffler if it would cause any issuse do these trucks need some back pressure or is it better for it to be straight through ? also moparman are the egt higher ,the same or better with the 3''

back pressure is desirable before the turbo, but after the turbine, its best to have the least pressure available. so the answer is NO, no back pressure is desired in the exhaust. a 3 inch is fine, especially straight piped. there is no need to go 4" unless you have plan for towing, or use which requires a exhaust brake, or say an aftermarket turbo.

I've been doing the nickle & dime thing here. Just keep sliding under & putting the mig to it. As long as I have the out pipe on my stock muffler. May do the muffler delete when the time comes, the rest of the system if fine I just got an 84 Mercedes 300D (5cyl turbo diesel) on the road last week. She's my new DD.It was an off & on Winter project, so my money was going there. Dave

For a low cost upgrade, a new muffler (maybe a big donaldson) with same in / out sizes and same diameter tailpipe (getting rid of the restriction of the step down) is gonna breathe better than the stock muffler (smaller out) & reduced tailpipe. My OEM pipe was good to the muffler.

thanks ,I tow a 22 foot boat ,but I will try to stay with the 3" ALL THE WAY BACK ,THE MUFF SHOP ONLY HAS STEEL PIPE ,no ss I guess that will last a while ,ok I am leaving the muffler off my younger boys at the house thinks it sounds cool ,i guess i do to ,just wondering about back pressure and loss of hp .