• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering box brace

Well sort of. I installed it, and couldn't finish the job. The tools are still on the shop floor with the plow frame. I had to quit. Then I was down in bed for the last two days because of it. I am going into the hospital Monday to have an epidural done. Maybe that will get me going enough again so I can finish the job. I remember being able to do these things and never having to think about being able to finish a job. Guys, appreciate your health. It is a very humbling experience to have someone wipe your backside because you can't.

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine replaced his steering box with a Red Head a few years ago. As I remember, it was a trade-in deal where you get a rebuilt unit and send them back the core. For what it's worth, he has been very happy with the Red Head unit. He said they oversized everything, and used top grade materials to make the box tight and dependable. His truck is a one ton dump that gets some harsh use. His truck recently had a head on collision with a telephone pole, (without him in it) with a backhoe on a trailer behind it. Really mashed the front end and bent up the frame and steering gear. The red head box was still good and was about the only thing he could reuse on the front end.Oh, and for those that are wondering how the heck that happened. He parked on a hill (manual transmission) and used the emergency brake to hold it while getting out and check the binders on the backhoe. You can guess the rest of the story... He couldn't run fast enough to catch it! :ahhh: The binders were fine. Truck... not so.

[quote=RJC2;47024 He parked on a hill (manual transmission) and used the emergency brake to hold it while getting out and check the binders on the backhoe. You can guess the rest of the story... He couldn't run fast enough to catch it! :ahhh:

The binders were fine. Truck... not so.

• 4 weeks later...

the steering on my 01 dually is very stiff,like the power steering is only working partially.when i go down the road its almost a two hander to keep it straight. would a steering brace help?is it doing this because its binding? there arent any strange noises anywhere. its full of fluid.

I can't say that a brace wouldn't help you however, I have a feeling that your problem is something else if it is as hard to steer as you say. If the power steering is working, the steering box may be bad. If you do replace it then I would put a steering brace on it to make sure the new box stays that way.I would start by checking all the joints. (Ball joints, tie rod ends, and track bar ends) All of these things add up to looking like a DUI candidate all the time.

:iagree:Most of the steering problems we have discussed here where a steering box brace is used is to help correct steering wander and not stiffness. It does sound like something else is wrong in the steering, like the pump or the steering box itself could be shot. There is an adustment screw(sector shaft aduster I believe)on top of the steering box. Someone might have tightened to much in order to take the slop out of the steering and it is now to tight and causing the stiffness. You could loosen it some and see what happens. If the steering gets looser but harder to control my guess would be the box is gone.

• Like 1

I agree with dripley. If overtightened, a steering box will be stiff to steer, and the gears really wear excessively when they are used while that tight. Loosening it now would probably make the truck drive worse than ever as it would have a tremendous amount of play in the steering.A friend of mine overtighten his and drove it that way for a year. The box broke interally in a turn one day at about 15 mph. He bought a new steering box and solved his steering problem. Then he had the passenger side fender replaced and door fixed from the crash. He was fortunate.There are a number of vendors that sell good boxes. I don't know if any are supporters of this website but they should be with all the business it sends their way.I have a friend who bought a "Red Head" brand gearbox and was very happy with the results. I think there is also a brand called "Blue Top" however I am not sure about the name or quality as I haven't had any experience with them.A factory steering box isn't as good as one of the ones listed above from what I have read in the past. I hope this helps.

• Like 1