• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck died w/ fuel psi & no codes!

Made a quick trip to the store and on the way back while slowing to make a right hander the Cummins Died :shrug:. I coasted to the curb. Could'nt see anything wrong. drain a little fuel for Airdog 150 at water filter too see whats up there, looked ok. WALKED a block and a half to get tools, (I Know:lmao:). Remove Fuel PSI sender and add another gauge and was reading 17 before cranking, just the bump of the started so there is psi to injector pump. Then I called Tow Truck:banghead:. Too heavy for me to push that far. After I got home started reading about this, Ck code and found nothing. Now I ask should i ck the keyway at pump or what next? Any advise would be very helpful.--- Update to the previous post...Let me add that the truck sat around for about a month or so, then when i started to drive it again, I would have to crank it a lot longer to get it started. Before i would really just bump the started a little and it would start right up. And I do run 2 stroke at 200:1.Just thinking again, what about the dowel pin falling out. would it leave a code of something or not?

Loosin #1 this afternoon and got nothin.

What did you find? When my crank sensor was going out it, it would give me no FP & would not allow the truck to start. I know tht's prolly not it cause you have FP. Keep us posted! Dave

Been busy at the job and havent time to work on it. I use the key trick to get no codes.

--- Update to the previous post...

What did you find?

When my crank sensor was going out it, it would give me no FP & would not allow the truck to start. I know tht's prolly not it cause you have FP.

Keep us posted!

Dave

Are you saying that when the crank sensor was bad the actual fuel pump or the vp44 didn't have fp?

Been busy at the job and havent time to work on it. I use the key trick to get no codes.

Are you saying that when the crank sensor was bad the actual fuel pump or the vp44 didn't have fp?

The crank sensor wouldn't allow the lift pump to work. I had zero pressure on my gauge.

Check your codes.

Dave

• Like 1

So more than likely the VP44 is shot...

Bad news!:cry: So what's everyone using for a replacement?:ahhh: I've read articles that on on remans, they don't always replace the computer.:doh: What do we need to be concerned with when buying a replacement vp44? Bosch certified?:shrug: A thousand bucks or so is still a lot of money to me!:spend:I don't want to do that!:spend: Dave

i bought mine from blue chipdiesel. but $1k wont buy one of his. he thinks alot of them. i paid $1700. he knows the vp very well and installs a new computer. mine has worked very well and i am happy with it. it is a very good pump.with that said i am not sure if i had it to do over again i would pay that much. there are others rebuilding the pumps with new computers that idid not know about at the time. Diesel auto power sells them with new or used computers.i am sure there are others that do also. personaly i would not buy one that did not have a new one. that is my only experiance with the vp, hope it helps. install is very straight forward and not difficult at all.

• Like 1

• Owner

I tend to look at the warranty coverage of the pump. I look to see who has the best warranty coverage (time and mileage). Then looking deeper I look at see if they have to inspect the pump before coverage or do they just send a new pump? If a shop has to inspect the pump first before replacement 99% of the time will void warranty because they found rust, sand, broken parts, etc. So I'm more interrested in the warranty than what they change or don't change. Because if you do have a problem and they void the warranty you thousand dollars more broke again... :smart:Secret... All VP44 have to be place on a calibration machine which is over $600,000.00... Each and every VP44 must be calibrated and timed before released for sale. So I know that all pumps have been bench tested to some degree before going back out the door. :smart:Another secret... I know there is very few of these calibration machines in the US. So not everyone got one... The ones that don't have a test bench has to send pumps out to other companies to have them bench calibrated. A way of weed out the truth is asking if the calibrate the pump on site or do they ship them off. :smart:

• Like 1

i bought mine from blue chipdiesel. but $1k wont buy one of his. he thinks alot of them. i paid $1700. he knows the vp very well and installs a new computer. mine has worked very well and i am happy with it. it is a very good pump.

with that said i am not sure if i had it to do over again i would pay that much. there are others rebuilding the pumps with new computers that idid not know about at the time. Diesel auto power sells them with new or used computers.i am sure there are others that do also. personaly i would not buy one that did not have a new one. that is my only experiance with the vp, hope it helps. install is very straight forward and not difficult at all.

I don't really want to pay $1700 for a 13 or 14 yr old truck, but I do like the Blue Chip stuff!

Thanks,

Dave

I tend to look at the warranty coverage of the pump. I look to see who has the best warranty coverage (time and mileage). Then looking deeper I look at see if they have to inspect the pump before coverage or do they just send a new pump? If a shop has to inspect the pump first before replacement 99% of the time will void warranty because they found rust, sand, broken parts, etc. So I'm more interrested in the warranty than what they change or don't change. Because if you do have a problem and they void the warranty you thousand dollars more broke again... :smart:

Secret... All VP44 have to be place on a calibration machine which is over $600,000.00... Each and every VP44 must be calibrated and timed before released for sale. So I know that all pumps have been bench tested to some degree before going back out the door. :smart:

Another secret... I know there is very few of these calibration machines in the US. So not everyone got one... The ones that don't have a test bench has to send pumps out to other companies to have them bench calibrated. A way of weed out the truth is asking if the calibrate the pump on site or do they ship them off. :smart:

Thanks for passing on the secrets! Great advice for all us VP44ers! You will make me a better more informed shopper when the time comes!

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

It is the VP44 that has gone bad. Rotor seems to be frozen, no fuel to injector at all. Money is tight right now so I will have to no-op the truck until I can replace the pump. Need to do some shopping to see how much I will need to get this fix up. Can't beleive this after a new fuel pump and using 2 stroke. The pump that is on it is a rebuilt pump change before I got the truck. I only have 130,000 on the truck and now the 3rd pump?:spend:

Maybe someone can tell me if the Killer dowel pin is a problem in the 02 24v? I read that eailier one are problem but what about the 02? No codes and rotor is stuck so I was thinking it could be mechanical problem:shrug:.

If it comes down to it Diesel Auto Power was recommended to me by Mike and others. It was $970 and Jacob also gave me a $15 member's discount. So far so good and he offers a 1-year unlimited mile warranty. Got it quick and he doesn't charge for the core unless you don't return it within 30 days. Didn't need it but people report that he has great service as well.

• 3 months later...