• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head Gasket and head question

I have torn down my truck and the head is removed and getting it all ready to take the the machine shop tomorrow to have it checked and shaved flat. Do I have to remove the valve springs before I take it to them or can those stay in? Everything is completely removed except those and I wasn't sure about them.

I have torn down my truck and the head is removed and getting it all ready to take the the machine shop tomorrow to have it checked and shaved flat. Do I have to remove the valve springs before I take it to them or can those stay in? Everything is completely removed except those and I wasn't sure about them.

They should do that for you,you should have valves ground and new seal installed. Make sure you take to a shop shop that knows these heads,there is a Min deck height that needs to be adhered too.:spend:
  • Like 1

If you want you can have them machine the head for cr style valve seals.They have a hat style and the spring holds them down so if you ever get crazy with the boost they wont pust up on you. Are you going to have them cut o rings into the head ?

--- Update to the previous post...

On a side note when they mag the head you will have cracks and thats ok. I had a head looked at and it had 4 or so cracks and i was happy. My old head had many,many cracks but didnt leak.

How many miles on your CTD? How did you know you had a problem, what were your symptoms? Thanks, Dave:pray:

I would love to have o-rings cut in while I have it off, but I have a baby girl due in December, just bought a house, and the wife is between jobs. So needless to say we are trying to save as much as possible.My truck has 215,000 miles on it and I had compression getting into the coolant system. Never had any issues with fluids mixing at this point, but it just recently started pushing out lots of coolant, so I decided it was time to break down and get in knocked out. New house has a nice shop that came along with it, so seemed like it was a sign that I needed to just do it.

Congratulation on the baby, on the new house and having a work shop is a good place to hang out and get things done. Your wife will have the job of her life in December.

Hahahaha! Total agreement on that one. You'll love the shop, yep it was a sign to fix your CTD baby!:thumb1: Dave

One more question you guys may know, I broke 2 of the little plastic pieces that sit above the valve bridge on the rocker that looks like a piece to hold the metal part in place. Have any of you ever broken one, and if so do you have any idea what this part is called so I can pick that up when I head to Cummins to pick up the head gasket etc? Below is also a link that someone else had posted with an arrow that points to the part in question. http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/broken-rocker-arm-piece-t268247.html Thanks in advance, Jason