• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Question about blocks

I picked up a complete engine for $1000. Going to pull it apart and see about making one good engine with the parts I have. I would do it myself. But the engine is just to big and heavy to deal with. Im taking it to the engine shop I used to work at. Im off for the winter. So my old boss is letting me work off the labor.

Well I found the problem with the block today. The number 5 cylinder has a small notch out of the top of the cylinder wall. It is above the travel of the rings by .06 or so. Looks like it was there from the factory. Almost looks machined out. Maybe a screw up at the factory that slipped past? cant post pics from my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats actually really good to know - hope I never need to use it - but very interesting. Wondering what shop labor would be typical if you supply all the hard parts. For that matter how hard is it to do yourself ?

Pulled mine 3 times 2 to try welding crack 1 to install rebuilt with new block from frieghtliner $2900 in parts and head work 3 days of my time:cheers: