• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BHAF installation pics

no it is not. i had just kicked in and i was pulling a 6% or 7% grade foot to the floor running as hard as i could. only stayed there for 20 or 30 seconds and came right back down to 190 or 195. with all the crazy temp swings i have been seeing(mostly low) it was exxiting. since the trip the tstat has been workin fairly normal. no more 150 to 165. its now holding 180 to 190. question is for how long. maybe working it that hard over the mountain did something to it.hard to miss the turbo prop when comes on no matter how hard your are pushing it.

i lifted mine today(bahf)and it popped off of the tube. lifted it pretty high. i have never noticed that it has slipped at all. i usually just take it off the turbo, tube and all and it has never slipped apart. kind of suprised me. but the seal appeared to be very good. it would be nice to have it clamp together better though. gonna have to think about that one.

I noticed that problem with the filter slipping off the turbo tube when I installed it. I took some 36 grit sandpaper and sanded around the opening so the tube would have some grab. Then I cleaned both mating surfaces with brake cleaner on a rag. I lifted up and pulled on it and it didn't give a bit.

• Like 2

It was 36 grit. I wanted a deep heavy cut so the rubber would have something to hold onto. I held the filter upside down so any abrasive that may have become dislodged while sanding would fall to the ground and not into the filter. It didn't take too much just a couple of rounds with the paper.

I used it by hand and was careful as an air filter is not the place to go nuts with sandpaper! Like I said, it won't come off. I guess one could take a file and cut a few grooves around the neck and get the same effect. I have all grits from 36 to 2000 on hand and thought 36 would do the best job.

The idea is to rough it not grind it off.

Yup!! Occasionally on a boat engine, I'd come across a rusted nut or bolt that HAD to be removed. I destroyed a lot of metric Craftsman sockets by hammering them onto the rust expanded nuts... occasionally got to the next SAE size. If all else failed, grind it off, remove the part, remove the bolt, reinstall the part with new hardware. I went through a lot of stainless steel replacement nuts & Never Sieze. #36 disc with a hard rubber backer on a disc grinder. I still own the grinder & think it still has #36 grit mounted on it!

• 1 year later...

Hi all,Just wondering if a BHAF would fit directly on the Turbo. If so, what #? I put on a fiberglass shaker style hood, like the kind that used to be on the 70 Hemi Cuda's, so it's open & a BHAF would be directly under all that fresh cool air!Thanks,Dave

Hi all,

Just wondering if a BHAF would fit directly on the Turbo. If so, what #? I put on a fiberglass shaker style hood, like the kind that used to be on the 70 Hemi Cuda's, so it's open & a BHAF would be directly under all that fresh cool air!

Thanks,

Dave

...and rain water :)

Man I wouldn't want mine slipping off on a dusty road!! Do you guys think rtv or silicone would be a good idea? I mean you could peel off what you don't like. Or doesn't someone use a piece of pipe inside as a backup for gear clamps? Prolly 4inch sdr 35 pipe cause 4" abs or PVC would be to big. I bet that with a rough up would be ace tight.

I don't think mine has ever came loose. I don't think that 'falling off' would be an issue.. Oh, and for whoever asked, here's a pic I found while surfing for something completely different.. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5223&d=1363919908

Mine has never slipped off except when I was lifting it up. I had it at an extreme angle to the tube though. That appears to be a much shorter filter in the pic, but it does prove there is one out there that will fit. At least on a 12v any way. But it does not look like there is any more than on a 24v.