• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just a thought

ISX

I rode with a guy the last couple days in a 2002 7.3. Anyhow, it gets 10mpg and the usual powerstroke woes. I went to some forums cause he wants to get the mileage I do so I tried to learn some stuff and basically I'm still without any info. There is nothing that says "this truck uses this fuel pump which is a rotary fuel pump which does this and this........." and lists all the details of how the whole truck works. I know I can find each thing, one at a time, through hours of searching and piecing together...

This brings me to exhibit A *brings out poster*, which is to have a sticky in each forum on how these damn things work so when powerstroke guy converts to a cummins, he won't be lost for months trying to piece everything together. I know nobody likes to be the one to initiate these kinds of posts (not sure why) so I will try and get the ball rolling on them all. I'll be honest and say I am not too sure on the CR trucks. I know the principles but there are a lot of sensors on there I have no clue as to what their true purpose is. I don't think it needs to get tooooooo detailed but I probably will get carried away with the 12V section, actually, let me get that one done and use it as an example, though it probably won't have to be that detailed.

--- Update to the previous post...

Alright here ya go, I'll play with it more tomorrow. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/4700-Getting-up-to-speed-with-the-94-98.5-12V-engine

I think this is a great idea! I know I've been in the same boat as you looking for info on the 7.3's since my dad has one and barley gets 10MPG on a good day :spend:I always got lost in the sea of scattered info though so never really found much out.

I liked the 12V article. As for the 7.3, unless he has a heavy foot his mileage is a little low. I have 2 buddies with late 7.3's, they can both pull mid teens pretty easily, and one is on 35's.

He has a banks power something or other. He is on 35's that are a foot wide and 20". Also has 4.56 gears so he does 70 at 2500RPM. It's jacked up and all that other stuff. I just have a hard time understanding how that effects mileage so much yet I can pull our trailer and never scratch anywhere near 10mpg. I guess there is ton more impact on how you get the power to the road than how much power is actually needed. As in, I could probably pull his truck behind me and get 15mpg because of how I get the power to the ground. I guess you should change configurations until the engine output to ground output (dyno rollers) are as equal as you can get them since it seems that is the biggest factor of mileage. I really can't see any other thing happening other than that. You can't tell me a truck sitting up high but still a lot more aerodynamic than a trailer front, can lose all the mileage due to being jacked up. I think the angles on the driveline have an adverse effect on it but the lift itself I don't think does as much as everything that goes along with it that increases losses from engine to the ground.