• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Leaking Automatic Transmission lines need help...

What I planned on doing (thanks Wild & Free for the advice) was just to cut the line off near the transmission with a pair of nippers so as not to accidentally get shavings inside. Then take a 6 point socket and turn out the connector from the transmission. I have ordered new connectors with all three lines. The total from Rock Auto was $143.70. It would have been cheaper if I hadn't bought the front line with the port in it for the trans. temp gauge. It cost about $25 more. I was talking with Geno's garage yesterday. A guy named Brandon (a nice guy by the way) told me that the trans. lines Rockauto sells [Dorman] are good quality lines. He said that Geno's used to carry them, but decided to get out of the line business. Dodge wanted about $100 more for the lines only and not the line with the port in it which costs more. I got four connectors which was about $30 and the lines for the price above.On Edit; sorry I posted before seeing Wild & Free's post [before this one] but will leave it incase someone wants to know what the prices were on the lines and fittings. I guess I should have included the part #s.

I received the line today that has the port in it for the temperature probe (Rockauto part #624-352) orginally for a 1995 Ram 2500. I remember seeing a post somewhere about removing a checkball from the line, otherwise it would have two. Is it located in the rubber portion of the line, and what is the best way to get it out?

I received the line today that has the port in it for the temperature probe (Rockauto part #624-352) orginally for a 1995 Ram 2500. I remember seeing a post somewhere about removing a checkball from the line, otherwise it would have two. Is it located in the rubber portion of the line, and what is the best way to get it out?

It is a rubber ball and it will pop out if you get behind it to pry out with a seal pick or very small screw driver.
  • Like 1

Thanks Wild & Free. Do I need to take the fitting apart that connects the rubber line to the metal part to get to it? I would just look but I can't take this line apart to see, as I have to send it back to Rockauto. I has a nasty, sharp dent in it, so bad that I don't trust it to install. I am sending it back. To Rockauto's credit, they gave me no grief about it. Just sending me a shipping tag for the return shipping and sending me a new one. Rockauto was a good recommendation, I am pleased with their prices and shipping was fast.I was reading on another site, a fellow recommeds taking the check balls out of the lines completely. Would that be adviseable to do?

Thanks Wild & Free. Do I need to take the fitting apart that connects the rubber line to the metal part to get to it? I would just look but I can't take this line apart to see, as I have to send it back to Rockauto. I has a nasty, sharp dent in it, so bad that I don't trust it to install. I am sending it back. To Rockauto's credit, they gave me no grief about it. Just sending me a shipping tag for the return shipping and sending me a new one. Rockauto was a good recommendation, I am pleased with their prices and shipping was fast. I was reading on another site, a fellow recommeds taking the check balls out of the lines completely. Would that be adviseable to do?

Been a while since doing one can't remember right off hand. as far as removing both I would not, It keeps all the oil from draining back out of the cooler system. Thus preventing areation of the oil when it has to pump all that oil back through at start up.

Well, I received all the parts today. I have learned a couple of things. First, There are three lines on a 47RE. Two are available through Rockauto and other part stores, and one line isn't available from anyone but Dodge. I bought the two lines from Rock auto (part #624352, & B61050) for less than $100) great quality nice parts. The third line, the one that goes from the heat exchanger to the cooler up front, costs $142 from Dodge. ouch! There are lines listed on Rockauto that appear to be this line, but they are not, I know I bought them and they are wrong and a very poor value. $30 each for 14" ($3 worth) of straight rubber transmission line and a $5 fitting. they give a very poor description at Rockauto (no picture) and the people there are not able to help identify what is what as well.So, if you are inclined to change your transmission lines and want to avoid this expense and frustration, this is what I have learned.Buy two from Rockauto. Part #s 624352 ($43.79), this is the one that goes from the front transmission port to the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the block. This line is really for a 1995 model year, and has the port in it for the temp. sending unit. If you don't have a transmission temp. gauge you still have to order this one as they don't make one without the port, this is the only front line available that I have found other than the dealership and they want $80-$90 for it. They (Rockauto, napa, & Advance) don't sell the line without the port, so if you don't need the port, plug it as you may decide to use it someday and will have it. Note: The line with the port has a check valve in it. There is already one inline at the heat exchanger so the one in this line needs to be removed so you won't have two. (Thanks Wild & Free for the advice on that)Second line from Rockauto is the one that runs from the rear transmission port to the short rubber line that comes off of the cooler near the oil pan. It is about 56" long and solid metal with a fitting on one end and quick connect on the other, part # B61050 ($14.93) a good buy! The biggest and cheapest.Third line is the one from Dodge, Part #52028633 ($141.35) this line goes from the heat exchanger to the short rubber lines that come off of the cooler up front near the oil pan. This one costs more than everything else combined.This comes to $200.07. You will have to figure shipping in on the lines from Rockauto.Now, If you want to replace the short lines that go from the cooler (in the grill) back to about the oil pan. These connect to the above mentioned lines, Don't do what I did and buy part #s A61097 and A61098 from Rockauto. They are about $30 each. You can just buy two connectors from Rockauto (part #800716) for $5 each, and buy 3' of transmission line (enough to do both), and two small clamps from Napa and have the EXACT same thing as they are going to send you for about $50 less.If you want to replace the fittings that go into the transmission (recommended) they are Rockauto part # 800717 and about $10 each. I recommend this as they have a rubber seal in them that tend to leak if not replaced.I am documenting this to help someone else that is going to do this. I did a search both here and on another site and really couldn't find a whole lot of help. This has been a bit of a pain to figure out. I hope this helps. Now, to get the last line from Dodge and install them...I may have a bit over $200 invested in this, but as Wild & Free wisely stated in an earlier post. It is cheaper than a $3000 transmission.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was scanning for other issues and found this thread- FWIW there is a better way than Rock auto (as good as they are, and I use them alot). Classic Tube has these mastered and will sell them in stainless steel- all 3 lines. All you need is the check ball section, or something to eliminate it. Cost me just a little more than your total investment (they mastered my lines and now have them on file) but it's a perm solution in the rust belt.Also, some never seize on the tube under the nut and on the nut threads will go a long way to making sure you can get them off is you even need to in the future.