• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stalled and Won't Restart

that all depends on how you treat it. keep good fuel pressure to it. put it on a 2 cycle oil diet,1 oz per gallon. hopefully it will last a long time. it is mechanical and electronic so one never knows the exact longevity of something like this. it might last 500k, or 100k. only time will tell.

that all depends on how you treat it. keep good fuel pressure to it. put it on a 2 cycle oil diet,1 oz per gallon. hopefully it will last a long time. it is mechanical and electronic so one never knows the exact longevity of something like this. it might last 500k, or 100k. only time will tell.

I guess you're right. I figure the guy who owned my truck before me beat it up pretty bad; however, if the code is correct it might just be the electronic portion of the pump and no one can predict the life of an electrical component. Been working on military jets for 30 years and have seen both extremes.

You are welcome but I haven't been on active duty (Marine Corps) for 22 years. I have, however, been a contractor for the Marine corps ever since. The kids today impress me beyond imagination with their dedication and sacrifice. I have to step back once in a while to notice since I work with them every day. Always keep them in your prayers.

When I went to check the numbers on the pump so I know which one to order, I only found a barcode. The barcode was just above the feed line and the banjo fitting. Isn't this where it is supposed to be or is there one in a different location? I need to get this thing on order but I'm not sure which one I need. Do you think this is an aftermarket pump? Is there some kind of standard for 99 5.9's? Are 99's the same as 2000's? Thanks

--- Update to the previous post...

Found Diesel Auto Power on the Cummins forum. Has anyone ever dealt with them or know anything positive or negative about them?

Well, pump is in the mail. Thanks to Jacob for not only the cheapest price of remanufactured/tesed pump, but also a forum discount.

what a guy :) Check out your tappet cover/gasket whilst you have it off - its a $25 part - wish my mechanic had done mine when he did my vp44 :banghead:

I was asking Jacob about possible issues with the new pump and told him about my setup. Due to my lift pump psi being around 20-22 at idle, he said it was a little too high and not to "tap the injection pump." Can someone tell me what that means? Thanks

your edge probably has tap wire going to the vp. you are going to see it when you take the pump off. mine is tapped for the ottomind tuner i have. this allows the tuner to change the timing in the pump. somebody smarte than me will have to explain this further. and why you should not tap the pump at the fuel pressure you are running. i am at 20 almost 21 at idle with a tapped pump. i forget what kind of lift pump you have. if it is adjustable you can turn it down to 17# or 18# at idle. at wot you ought to be around 14 or 15 #lets see what some one else smarter:smart:than i knows before i put both my feet in my mouth. i just got them out of there from the last post i made else where.

• Like 1

• Owner

your edge probably has tap wire going to the vp. you are going to see it when you take the pump off. mine is tapped for the ottomind tuner i have. this allows the tuner to change the timing in the pump. somebody smarte than me will have to explain this further. and why you should not tap the pump at the fuel pressure you are running. i am at 20 almost 21 at idle with a tapped pump. i forget what kind of lift pump you have. if it is adjustable you can turn it down to 17# or 18# at idle. at wot you ought to be around 14 or 15 # lets see what some one else smarter:smart:than i knows before i put both my feet in my mouth. i just got them out of there from the last post i made else where.

Actually tap wire and fuel pressure have nothing in common really... You should stay between 10-20 PSI as much as possible but I still suggest 14-20 PSI for longevity reasons. Like Myself I'm tapped as well and run the box wide open for the timing purpose more than fueling purpose which I use my foot to control fuel...

Just wanted to come back and say, "thanks" to everyone that helped out. Replaced (well, had it replaced) VP and it runs great.

Glad to see you got it running... :thumb1:
  • Like 1