• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New brakes are really noisy

I get this intermittent low-pitched growl from my new brake pads. Turning a corner seems to start the noise. Like I said, it's intermittent and may not show up for a week or more.While it's occurring, if I step on the brake pedal the noise stops but returns as soon as I lift my foot.All I can think is that the pads are dragging somehow. I've removed the wheels to look at the rotors,pads etc and all seems normal.When I did my brake job, all I did was replace the pads. I did nothing to the calipers or pistons.Should I have removed the pistons and cleaned them or anything else?This noise doesn't seem to affect drivability or stopping, but it sounds so horrendous I figure it can't be good.Thanks, John

the last time i did my fronts i did not have them turned. not so much to save any money, but coming home on the weekend leaves very little time to get some one to turn them. most shops i my area who do this close at 12 on saturday. mine were in decent shape so i let it go. i wont be able to next time. i am thinking getting a spare set just for such instances. i hope my exhaust brake will make that a long time in the future. mine are, however not noisy at all. quiet like always.

• Owner

Does the exhaust brake work with an automatic transmission?

No... There is some that have found lockup controllers to allow for Exhaust Brake usage on automatic but without the lockup controller its basically worthless... CajFlynn has/had a exhaust brake on his 01 Dodge with a Automatic but I think he wore his out. :shrug: (1.1 Million miles)

the last time i did my fronts i did not have them turned. not so much to save any money, but coming home on the weekend leaves very little time to get some one to turn them. most shops i my area who do this close at 12 on saturday. mine were in decent shape so i let it go. i wont be able to next time. i am thinking getting a spare set just for such instances. i hope my exhaust brake will make that a long time in the future. mine are, however not noisy at all. quiet like always.

Yea i have access to a lathe so that makes it easier on me but I also have 3 trucks (when they all happen to be running at the same time :lol:) that I can use if i need to have my brakes tore apart for a day or two. -Jordan-