• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Two Different stock Pumps Tried... still same issue

• Staff

I'm new here so I would like to say hello to everyone first. Looks like a good forum.I have tried two different OEM lift pumps and still getting very slow to climb fuel pressures on start ups. It'll stay at 4 psi for a few seconds then climbs slow to 10. I wait a few more seconds and it climbs only to 11. I used to always have 14 and went up right away after start ups. With my 1/2 inch lines and big draw straw it would always stay on 14 even with the camper on at WOT. I would like to wire the LP to the battery without the truck running for a test to see if the pressure climbs fast like it used to. If I turn on the key to activate the gauge will it send a code? They are easy to clear and won't do any harm right?Thanks so much and a big Hello from Oregon.

• Owner

Welcome to the family...:thumb1:

As for your issues with the lift pump you can temp wire it hot and see... But most times the stock pump fails at the hub internally.

This plastic hub shouldn't fall out...

Posted Image

I've seen where the plastic hub was round and slipped inside the hub and the plastic melted slightly it would bind back up and pump good for awhile till the pump slipped again. The other problem is the pressure regulator internally beats the seat up and the pressure falls off.

There is a lot of options in fuel pumps but I would suggest a FASS/AirDog/Raptor...

• Staff

Thanks A whole lot for that pic/ answer. All I can say now is the brand new reserve pump, I carry under the seat, is going back. I never looked at that plastic keyway slot. Built to soft IMHO. The three pumps you guys talk about.... which is the best company for guarantees and good response?

• Owner

The three pumps you guys talk about.... which is the best company for guarantees and good response?

All 3 are lifetime warranty... But I tend to now side with FASS more so because of the plumbing and placement. AirDog/Raptor is a wonderful pump but being they converted over to the quick connect plumbing that is all pre-cut and crimped makes it bad for people with special mounting requirement like offrad usage you don't want you pump hanging down on the frame rail to get hit? Like the FASS has its problems too with some of there pumps being overly large and hard to place. But now with there newer line of pump it seem they are marketing to take over the lead placement. Also FASS is still using the old school Push Loc and JIC fitting so you can can custom mount your fuel pump where you want it!

I'm new here so I would like to say hello to everyone first. Looks like a good forum. I have tried two different OEM lift pumps and still getting very slow to climb fuel pressures on start ups. It'll stay at 4 psi for a few seconds then climbs slow to 10. I wait a few more seconds and it climbs only to 11. I used to always have 14 and went up right away after start ups. With my 1/2 inch lines and big draw straw it would always stay on 14 even with the camper on at WOT. I would like to wire the LP to the battery without the truck running for a test to see if the pressure climbs fast like it used to. If I turn on the key to activate the gauge will it send a code? They are easy to clear and won't do any harm right? Thanks so much and a big Hello from Oregon.

The best solution is an Air Dog or FASS. Having said that, have you tried the OEM Airtex replacement fuel lift pumps? The Carter style fuel pumps are junk. The Airtex pumps are pretty good pumps for an OEM replacement pump on a stock engine truck. Might help keep you going until you are in a better money position to upgrade. http://www.airtexproducts.com/TSB/TSB-0407-01.pdf If you engine and fuel system are still stock, this pump is a drop in replacement for the orginal and MUCH cheaper. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=882158 Rockauto has them for $111.79 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1366602&parttype=6256&partkey=882158&a=FRc1366602k882158-2634394

• Staff

Thanks much for the info. I just went out and tried the hot wires to the battery. It's not showing anything better with bigger wires right to the power source. I am convinced the reason the oem Carter pump cannot attain higher pressure is because of the fuel by pass incorporated in the pump head. It allows fuel to flow to the VP44 when the LP goes out, but at the the same time, won't let pressures go high enough, when fully operating, to help cool the VP. It can only get to a certain pressure and then like an over flow, allows fuel back into the suction side of the pump.I could be wrong on this as it's just what I see from opening the 3 used up factory pumps. The original from 02 looks as if there is not much by pass as the newer versions have much larger orifice. This would explain why I was getting 15 psi on the original pump, now only getting 11-12.Better to save the VP with good level of cooling pressure.BTW, Haven't figured out how to do my sig yet...... It's a 2002 black sport extended cab DSS, 03 adjustable trac bar, Gauges, Vulcan big lines, pump on the frame, Alcoa wheels, VP cooler blower with heat sink on top.Thanks again.... Mike do they take checks around here? Please give an address since I'm now devoid of plastic in the pockets.