• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump problem

Davy

Okay, next chapter. Last weekend I switched all my tools back over into the truck with the new lift pump. Monday I drove about 175 miles and it cranked up and ran fine all day except when I cranked it on the job to come home. I had to hold the key over probably 5 or 6 seconds before it cranked. That's unusual for this truck. Like most Dodge/Cummins trucks, it usually fires right up. I drove home, probably 25-30 miles and it ran fine. Once I got home, I pulled up in the driveway and let it idle for about 10 minutes while I moved my other truck over and did a couple things. I got back in and it started missing and cutting out but didn't die. I revved the engine up to about 2000 RPM and held it there and it cut in and out and missing. That's when I loaded my tools back into the other truck. This afternoon when I got home I tried to crank it and it wouldn't. The new lift pump was running, I could hear it.I guess the first thing would be to get a pressure gauge and make sure the Fass pump is working properly. I'll bet it's the VP. Any comments are appreciated.

• Owner

Starting issues... I would look at battery cables and terimnal closely and do a voltage drop test first thing. If the ground cables are poor it could create all kinds of weird gremlins like the misfiring, odd lag of starting, etc.. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/voltage-drop/voltage-drop.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I had the fuel drain back happen; Once when I failed to tighten the fuel filter cap enough and again when I primed the system and did not tighten down the injectors enough. So you might check all that.They say you can break the plastic filter cap if you use the little square drive in the center. Your supposed to use the big socket instead. I think the filter cap is 25 ft. pounds but don't know what the injectors are.... just make them good and tight but not wrenched like a bull.