• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cab lights installed

27 minutes ago, rotohead said:

Yes I have a kit that comes with a template and I've had the headliner down before so no big deal there. Thanks for the tips.

I would hate for someone to make my mistakes. The least i can do is let people know i guess. Having the template is priceless it is so nice to have. Saves a ton of time measuring and marking all you gotta do is line it up tape it down and drill. That first hole is the worst but 15 holes in your roof later and you'll get over it haha

I will be installing my cab light s here in the next few weeks, They are factory off a 96 Dodge standard cab,I believe.  I got them from another member here that was parting out a donor truck,  It came with the factory harness and has a small two pin connector that looks to be somewhere around the overhead console, but not sure where it’s supposed to plug in, The other plug is a big white one with three pins and looks like it’s long enough to travel down the A pillar and plug in somewhere ( maybe the headlight switch) I dunno, I havnt took anything apart yet.

I plan on drilling with a 7/8 hole saw with a pilot bit from the bottom up just to get the pilot hole and then from top down for the larger hole. I too have heard that their is factory pre stamped holes in the sub roof frame to use as guides. But don’t know for sure. Any input is great, for Id like to do this project in a day since Im going to have holes in my roof. and my truck won’t fit in the garage right now.

18 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I will be installing my cab light s here in the next few weeks, They are factory off a 96 Dodge standard cab,I believe.  I got them from another member here that was parting out a donor truck,  It came with the factory harness and has a small two pin connector that looks to be somewhere around the overhead console, but not sure where it’s supposed to plug in, The other plug is a big white one with three pins and looks like it’s long enough to travel down the A pillar and plug in somewhere ( maybe the headlight switch) I dunno, I havnt took anything apart yet.

I plan on drilling with a 7/8 hole saw with a pilot bit from the bottom up just to get the pilot hole and then from top down for the larger hole. I too have heard that their is factory pre stamped holes in the sub roof frame to use as guides. But don’t know for sure. Any input is great, for Id like to do this project in a day since Im going to have holes in my roof. and my truck won’t fit in the garage right now.

Mine is a 2000 2500 that came factory with 1500 mirrors and no cab lights but it did come with a tow package and it had the holes under the roof. Its not that hard to pull the headliner down in the front if you wanted to make sure beforehand. I wish i would have known about it ahead of time myself but i guess you live and learn. Just for the sake of making things easier at the factory i would imagine that they would all have the same substructure with different stuff attached to it if that makes any sense to you... Like for example some manufacturers will have a single way of wiring the truck or things will come prewired even though it didnt have it from the factory. I cant say for sure about the plugs though because i used the 2010+ kit and it had a ground wire and a power wire that your supposed to route into the fuse box but i spliced mine into the running light wire at the drivers front running light. Hasnt blown the fuse yet so it must be a tiny amount of power being drawn.