• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ignition switch won't work all the time. What's wrong with it?

A friend has a 99 2500 CTD with 129K miles. He is having problems starting it. Sometimes it will start first try, other times he tuns the key and nothing happens and will have to cycle the key 2 to 20 times before it will turn over and start. Has anyone else experienced this?

not that i like seeing any body with a problem but when i saw the post and the poster i thought you cant buy a break. glad its not you RJ but i am sorry for your friend. my brothers chevy did that and it turned out to be the switch. the dealer told him he had to many keys hanging on his key ring.:shrug: mine weighs about 3/4# so idont knowhow much truth ther is in that. could jus be a loose or bad connection in the wiring,

Its not an uncommon problem. I would check the connection at the base of the column as well as the pins inside the connectors. The 3rd gens are highly notorious for having burned pins inside the connections. I have also heard of bad wires in the area where the column tilts. Imagine what happens when you take a piece of wire and bend it back and forth many times. they can weeken and break. Has he tried starting it while holding the key in start position and tilting the column?

• Staff

What people call the ignition switch is generally made up of three components. First is the key and tumbler. This is the locking portion. next is the bolt that locks the steering column. Last is the ignition switch which is the electrical portion of the whole assembly. Now as for to much weight on the key ring, pick up your key ring and hold the ignition key between your thumb and for finger and fell how heavy it is. That's how much weight that key is applying to the tumblers and cylinder. Now drive down a bumpy road and that heavy key ring is bouncing up and down pulling the ignition key with it. Premature failure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner