• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 problems - Getting tired of the BS!

• Owner

Ok first of let me vent here a second... (You've been warned!)

I got a phone call from a gent this evening upset at his truck because of hard starting and P1689 error code randomily coming. He admits he's got a Raptor fuel pump, Edge Juice and 100 HP injectors. That fine... But the admits he's selling it because he's tired of all the VP44 failures and problem.

WHOA! Stop the train... This is where I'm getting really tired of people giving the VP44 a bad name now pay attention.

Now I asked him of his source of fuel. His response is he's running red dye fuel from a farm tank because its free.

Then ask him of the the fuel filter he's running. His response is a cheap wix/napa filter.

So now whining about VP44 failures but he's feeding it dirty watered down fuel and using cheap filters and wonder why the VP44 are not lasting. :rolleyes:VP44 injection pump are a great pump and work very very well only if you feed them right...

[*]Fuel lubricity of <450 HFRR (He admits in using 2 cycle oil :thumb1:)

[*]Fuel pressure of >14 PSI (Raptor pump and no lower than 16 PSI :thumb1:)

[*]Filters of <10 Microns

[*]Little to no water (We all know farm fuels get water from time to time from sitting in the weather :rolleyes:)

So what I'm finding out is people are abusing the pumps by cheating and then blame the pump for the poor quality of fuel and filters used. I'm really getting sick and tired of all the VP44 bashing... :mad:

Posted Image

• Like 4

• Owner

After all the time of hearing VP44 failure and how bad VP44 pump are... I now know what every VP44 rebuilder is fighting every day. Where VP44 owners are cutting corners on fuel quality and filters and feed it dirty nasty fuel from gawd knows where.Why is that you here the same guy bragging about AMSOil in every hole but feed the fuel tank with worse garbage he can find? Why is this? Then blame the VP44 for being a $hitty pump. :rolleyes:I'll admit there is a few actual short life span pump that failed premature but not as often as the big forums as pushing it... :smart:

I was in a hurry a few weeks ago and just stopped by the Dodge dealer to pick up a fuel filter for each of my 2 rigs since I am a fan of fleetgaurds. I found out Mopar only offers 1 filter now for the 24 v and 5.9 cr engines the 7 micron.Good to know that mopar now only uses the 7 mic fs 19856 for both engines.:thumb1:

my first one went out at 75k and was replaced under warranty. i dont know what happened toit, i was just happy it was fixed at no cost tome. that one stayed in the truck for 5 1/2 years and about 140k more miles. it went thru the following; me not knowing a thing about what it needed to be healthy(probably its worst torture) one lift pump failure at 140k. dodge installs an in tank pump. started acting funny about 185k. turns out my fuel pressure was almost none existant. added a booster pump and got the pressure up around 17 and 11. but still no fuel pressure gauge(still torturing her here)read an article in a diesel magazine discussing issues with the vp and the importance of pressure. stilll no gauge article did not discuss adding one. started having bucking and dead pedal issues at 215k and decided the pump was going out and bought one. major malfundtion before i could install the pump. spemt a month on cf trying teget answers and found little help. found M1973M and every thing changed. as it turns out my pump probably was not as bad as i thought. turned out to be ecm. installed pump anyway.long story short, the second vp lasted 140k and survived an ignorant owner. i did keep the fuel filter clean and used on road diesel the whole time and it was changed before it failed. they cant be all bad to survive all of that.

i ran kleen diesel for4 or 5 monthson the old pump before the new diesel fuel never notice any diffarance so i stopped. i never ran anything in it after that. ther was plent of theold stuff around until about 2 years ago i think. i have been running 2 cyle for most of the life of this pump and like it. figure it is very cheap insurance to help the vp have a long and happy life. there is lots of good info here on the subject. you ought to read up on it.

• Owner

So what's the opinion of fuel additives?

Here is the write up...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives&catid=36&Itemid=115

Personally after trying a few to correct a misfire issues and then after soaking a injector over night in straight solvent and seeing it did nothing to correct the problem. I can tell you that if your looking to clean a fuel system you have to take everything apart and clean it by hand. So as for keeping it clean is all about good CLEAN fuel and good fuel filters (<10 Micron)

As for keeping things lubed up I would look at the list (above link) and consider the options.

As for cetane booster just remember everytime you increase cetane you reduce the BTU's of the fuel... Just remember standard gasoline is right at 116K Btu's

Posted Image

As much as I agree, you all do realize that anyone who is disgruntled with the VP isn't going to read this thread. They would rather spend $4000-$5000 to P-pump their truck and give up all the drive-ability of the 24v. To each is own.

As much as I agree, you all do realize that anyone who is disgruntled with the VP isn't going to read this thread. They would rather spend $4000-$5000 to P-pump their truck and give up all the drive-ability of the 24v. To each is own.

If anyone happens to read this and is going to p-pump their truck anyway I would love to take a vp-44 apart to see what makes it tick. :lmao:
  • Like 1

• Staff

I've read somewhere and heard on other forums that Wix is a good enough quality fuel filter but, when I opened the box, it said on the filter, 'made in Banglidesh'...... I think I won't be buying them any more.:nono:

I've read somewhere and heard on other forums that Wix is a good enough quality fuel filter but, when I opened the box, it said on the filter, 'made in Banglidesh'...... I think I won't be buying them any more.:nono:

Is ANYTHING made here anymore?

• Owner

Is ANYTHING made here anymore?

Not really... Most everything from filters to parts are 99% made over seas...

• 2 weeks later...

my vp went out around 150,000 miles about a year after i bought it. I am second owner and the cause was the crap stock lift pump. Well a bunch of money and 6 hours later i replaced it all myself and installed the raptor 150 and have had zero issues since. i am now on the 2 stroke oil regiment and it does have a positive if small impact ont things :)

I can't say anything for the fuel filters since I've never dealt with them, but I have had to replace an engine due to a wix oil filter. The bypass valve came out of the filter and blocked the oil flow to everything but the crankshaft and high pressure oil pump.
  • Like 1

• Staff

I can't say anything for the fuel filters since I've never dealt with them, but I have had to replace an engine due to a wix oil filter. The bypass valve came out of the filter and blocked the oil flow to everything but the crankshaft and high pressure oil pump.

I have one Wix O/F left. Now I think I should return that one. The rest are Baldwin filters any opinions on those?