• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Fullboarcummins

Flushing/cleaning my vp44

I bought my truck as a basket case you could say. The shop that found the crack in the block just left the engine torn apart. Im picking up another engine with a bad vp saturday for my truck. I will be swapping my vp to this engine. I was told the vp that my truck came with was "newer". Problem is the shop didnt cover the ports for the injector lines. Is there a safe way to clean/flush the pump?

Well if it was me I would just cover the port with duct tape or simular for now. But once it was installed on a new engine I would just leave the high pressure lines off and roll the engine allowing the diesel fuel to flush the pump out. Being there is no way of flushing it unless its tied to the ECM for fire signal.

• Like 1

Also look close for any rust that might have started in the fittings. If there is any use a scotchbrite pad and clean the rust before you flush the ports so you get a good seal when you install the lines.

• Like 1

No... It will pump pulses of fuel flushing the fitting out but no its not going to pump gallons but that all depends on how long you crank on it. :shrug:I know the pump is rated is cc's of stoke... Don't ask how much but its enough to spit fuel though...

Well if it was me I would just cover the port with duct tape or simular for now. But once it was installed on a new engine I would just leave the high pressure lines off and roll the engine allowing the diesel fuel to flush the pump out. Being there is no way of flushing it unless its tied to the ECM for fire signal.

when i installed my air dog and was trying to start the truck i forgot to connect the vp. i kept bumping the engine and runnig the lift pump and was able to get alot of fuel to the injectors i had open. so will bumping the lift pump not flush the openings?

On the back of the vp has fittings that go into the pump,they come out. I am talking about the fittings that the injection lines go to. You could remove them and clean any crud you find.If you need to clean out the injection lines you can spray brake clean into it, then blow them out with shop air.