• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0123, P1693, p0216 codes and no overdrive

Ok, So I bought a 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 auto, quadcab. When I bought it is seemed to run and shift fine. I got a pretty good deal on it and was a little worried something might be wrong. Well of course I didn't know about key trick to check for codes until I started working on it at home. When I bought it there was only 1 battery, so I bought two new batteries and installed. I also bought a raptor 100 and installed along w/ fuel filter. I did both of these at the same time. Since then I am getting 3 codes. p1693, p0216, and P0123. I know the first two point to mechanical ip failure, but it still cranks and runs good. The main problem I have now is the p0123 code and my truck will not shift into overdrive or 4th. I have installed a timbo apps. that was no help. Also had tranny fluid and filter changed. All the problems seem to have started after new fuel pump and batteries installed, but that just doesn't make sense. Gonna follow mikes 14 step procedure for checking grounds and wires. pretty aggravated at the moment.

sorry to hear you are having problems. the only problem with the key trick onyour 2000 is it only read one of the computers. if you did not get 2 p dones when you checked them there are more in there. even in my 2002 the key trick does not always pull up all of the codes. the 1693 is telling you that you have codes in both the ecm and pcm. the 216 is not a good sign for the vp. since you just installed a new lp i take it the old one was an oe lp. another bad sign for the vp. the timbo apps might very well have solved your apps problem and the code might be invalid. you wont know until you clear the codes and see. if you dont have code reader many of the auto parts stores will read and clear them for you. some, for a deposit , will let you use them and return them for free. when the vp goes in these vehicles there is a good chance you will get little or no warning, they just crap out. mine did.i dont know anything about the tranny. someone else will chime in and help with that. in the mean time it does not hurt to check all of those grounds at least you cna eliminate that as a problem.also if you would fill out your signature so everyone knows what you are working with, it would be a grat help.

• Owner

I would validate the error codes by clear the codes now and then go for a ride and check again if the code returns after a 10-15 mile ride then more than likely the code is true. If not the code was a random glitch which sometimes occurs.As for the P0216 its not a good sign but you can buy yourself some time to get funds put together for replacing the VP44. Eventually it will fail or performance will get so poor that you'll be force to replace it.As for the trans shifting problem you might trade your horn relay and the trans relay and see if that helps... But there should of been a code for TQ lockup or something typically. :shrug:

So, whats the best way to get the wire harness out of the ecm. kinda hard to get to and get any leverage. I am in the process of running down an electrical issue.

thanks,

Tim

--- Update to the previous post...

also the 5th step in the P0123 trouble shooting checklist, I got a really low voltage reading like .18 Am trying to get the ecm harness connecter out to continue testing.